Redshift 3d 1.0 for Maya and Softimage Released

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

REPLY TO THREAD

Old 04 April 2014   #1
Redshift 3d 1.0 for Maya and Softimage Released

Just saw that Redshift 1.0 is finally out for $500/license with no limit on the number of GPU's you can use to render. If you guys haven't tried this renderer yet I would highly recommend downloading the demo and playing with it.

https://www.redshift3d.com/

Old 04 April 2014   #2
I don't know if this is the fastest renderer in existence, but it is definitely the fastest I've ever used, and can even do Iradiance cache and IPC, as well as being full featured and production ready. I'm REaDy to SHIFT.

Old 04 April 2014   #3
Awesome! I tried it during the beta. One of the most impressive renderers on the market!

Old 04 April 2014   #4
I have tested this since alpha. I come from Vray, Mray and Arnold, it was really comfortable and easy to learn redshift. Well documented, and the guys are really fast with replies and fixes.

MAN, this is good renderer; Paradigm shift IMHO. Most of the things that have been conspicuously absent from vrayRT and Iray are here and working great. Judging by how fast things have moved from alpha through to 1.0, future versions will move ahead leaps and bounds. They have done the hard work on an extensible core and MIS. Plus no double fp precision needed, so no need for Titans/Teslas/Quadros.

Someone said production ready? Yes.

Chris

ps. just a really happy paying customer, not spruiking on Redshifts behalf.

Old 04 April 2014   #5
Also tested it since the alpha, and it's come a long way very quickly! Render times are very impressive and the redshift team gives an incredible support.

Old 04 April 2014   #6
It seems quite expensive though, once you move away from a single workstation - or does it come with render-only-licenses of some sort?

Old 04 April 2014   #7
Its not too bad once you consider you can use as many GPUs in one workstation as you can fit in there. So it makes sense to have less machines with more GPUs, and you save on licenses for everything else at the same time (windows etc), as well as the associated hardware.

Old 04 April 2014   #8
Will definitely have to give it a go, I guess
How is it performing when you hit it with lots (lots!) of geometry and force it to go ooc?

Old 04 April 2014   #9
Hoping for some max support for this soon, looks great!

www.willelliott.co.uk

Polycount Checker Max script

Old 04 April 2014   #10
Trust me when I say....no other GPU renderer comes close in terms of speed. Just the fact that they have figured out how to do IC on the GPU should turn heads (and yes, you can save and reuse your IC).

Old 04 April 2014   #11
I think max support is next in line, but delayed while they got V1 out the door.

Regarding ooc performance, it can have a big effect, but you have to push it pretty hard to see that. They can fit an awful lot of geo and textures into the available vram.

Old 04 April 2014   #12
Really hope that a C4D plugin is next in line after the Max one

Old 04 April 2014   #13
Yeah, a C4D plugin would be great.

This looks like a good renderer. Will try it when it supports C4D.

Old 04 April 2014   #14
I'm going to try the demo, but question for folks that have used it. I do show opens and product shots using mainly Vray and Maya. However, I've lost access this last year to a render farm, and rendering has kinda turned into the most time consuming part of the job.

So, in your opinion, can I get faster results with this renderer and not lose the quality I get from Vray? Are there any, sure its great...but... things that would prevent me from spending my very limited production budget on this switch? What do you guys think who are familiar with working in both renderers? Any advice would be great.

I'm just looking for something that gives me the look clients are accustom to but , man, speed it up!

Last edited by pipdixel : 04 April 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Old 04 April 2014   #15
Originally Posted by pipdixel: So, in your opinion, can I get faster results with this renderer and not lose the quality I get from Vray?

Can't talk about the new Vray, but it's definitely faster than the Vray 2. I only have a GTX580 3GB and I can tell that the rendertimes are just mindblowing. A high res head with SSS and plenty of hair just renders in less than 40 seconds with GI from an HDRI, at production quality. Caching the GI makes it render at 30 seconds... Progressive IPR is also very handy.

And quality-wise, there is no difference with other biased renderer, if you use the same quality settings and filtering. The sampling is way quicker in redshift so you don't have to be afraid to use high values, you can even think of rendering DoF and motion blur in 3d. In the end you can even have better quality renders for the same render time.

However some features are still missing (volumetric lighting is coming soon, SSS improvements), check the roadmap on their forum to check that you won't miss something very important for your work. The support is great and new versions are coming at least once a week.

Just try it, and share your feedbacks

reply share thread