Old 01-18-2004, 09:46 PM   #1
sad
c4d9

Georg Niedermeier
freelancer
Germany

room: kugelhalle

hi to anyone!

hereīs another c4d 8.2 rendering i made some months ago. it is finished and no wip.
the feedback over in 3d-arena was just overwhelming so i decided to post it here, too.
well, it ainīt no flood of gimmics and no superb ultra-realistic rendering but a try to create some mood and thinking.

i wanted to create some claustrophobic feeling.
most of my pictures are some kind of psycho-game.

what does it express? could it have caused stronger feelings - how?

thank you!

Old 01-19-2004, 03:00 AM   #2
DirtySkillet
--Disturbed--

Ari M. Robbins
High School Student (freashmen)
USA

Send a message via AIM to DirtySkillet
I like the idea. Somehow I don't think that the light works with the idea of the scene. It dosn't symbolize anything. I don't have any ideas about how it could be better. But I think it could do with some changes.

Old 01-19-2004, 07:31 AM   #3
Shayder
Now with 37% less crap!
Shayder
President
Tyrell Media Corporation
Canada

I really like this!

I would eliminate or narrow the skylight if you want to make this more claustrophobic.

From the angle it's hard to tell but is the chair close to or touching the ceiling? If it is, showing that it was it might help.

I get the sense of impending doom. If that's what you're going for then may be the ball could be tethered to the wall with an old rope or rusty chain, that has a lot of tension on it, so that it looks like it could break and swing into the chair at any moment.

I really like it as it is though.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:17 AM   #4
sad
c4d9

Georg Niedermeier
freelancer
Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by DirtySkillet
I like the idea. Somehow I don't think that the light works with the idea of the scene. It dosn't symbolize anything. I don't have any ideas about how it could be better. But I think it could do with some changes.

thanks for your feedbck, though i cannot agree with you that the light doesnīt symbolize anything. it symolizes quite much.
if it werenīt there, the scene was dead. light inflicts a glimpse of hope and/or freedom. the light lets us see that there is an outside. it shows: the walls seem not to be too thick to break.

(for me) a chair is a symbol for stability and power which is relativized by the ball that might break it.

itīs a matter of rage to destroy the chair or the cavity.
to destroy the chair is just destruction.
to destroy the wall/walls is breaking free.

the chain controlls both types of rage.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:26 AM   #5
sad
c4d9

Georg Niedermeier
freelancer
Germany

Quote:
Originally posted by Shayder
I really like this!

I would eliminate or narrow the skylight if you want to make this more claustrophobic.

From the angle it's hard to tell but is the chair close to or touching the ceiling? If it is, showing that it was it might help.

I get the sense of impending doom. If that's what you're going for then may be the ball could be tethered to the wall with an old rope or rusty chain, that has a lot of tension on it, so that it looks like it could break and swing into the chair at any moment.

I really like it as it is though.

thanks a lot!

well, i want the picture to be claustrophobic but not only.
why would it help to know whether the chair touches the ceiling? sounds interesting...

the rope-idea is a cool one!

Old 01-21-2004, 05:20 AM   #6
Shayder
Now with 37% less crap!
Shayder
President
Tyrell Media Corporation
Canada

why would it help to know whether the chair touches the ceiling? sounds interesting...

It would help show that the room is quite small, right now it looks as if the room might be taller than it actually is.

An maybe some sort of object in the foreground something that symbolizes what you want to say, but it is in shiloulette(sp?).

Sorry for adding things but I am a director and I can't help my self, always taking other peoples work and wanting to change things. But like I said before, I like it the way it is.

Old 01-23-2004, 09:10 PM   #7
L0sTPr0fEt
Web Designer (www.ultimadesigns.com)

Send a message via AIM to L0sTPr0fEt
what might portray more of a sense of emotion would be something like changing the color of the light to a depressing color. Maybe a dark red would do the trick. This way you can portray maybe anger, or pain. or maybe make it some color which makes the scene lonely, in a way. the regular light makes it seem like a regular ol' day.

just a suggestion

good work, i like it

LP

Old 01-26-2004, 12:47 AM   #8
Ubersquid
Veteran

Michael Mayr
3D Guy
Austria

Send a message via ICQ to Ubersquid
i really like the idea, the lighting and the setup. the only thing that disturbs the claustrophobia thing is the perspective i think, but maybe if the camera would be placed just below the ceiling, the whole image wouldn't work anymore because you won't see the sky.
hot dang i don't know

greez
squid

Old 02-04-2004, 11:51 PM   #9
jedmitchell
Llama Wrangler

Jedidiah Mitchell
Rochester, USA

Send a message via AIM to jedmitchell
camera angle

hey, this is just a thought, but maybe try moving the camera to as low as it can go and widening the lens angle to distort things a little bit, even as wide as a fisheye. if you make the skylight feel further away than it really is and add some general distortion to the objects (the ball and chain especially) it might heighten your mood, which, by the way, I think is already pretty well established. just play around with your camera and lens (if you haven't already), as well as the position of the ball and chain.

also, I think you've got the sky at just the right color, kind of like something Magritte would use. if it weren't that perfect, happy, harmonious, blue color, then what would make the room look so bad? if the sky outside were red and scary then I'd be happy about being inside the room.

Old 02-15-2004, 03:57 AM   #10
ndat
Yay, I'm Orange...

Adam Gardner
Student
USA

Nice, I like it alot...

Hmm but personally I like the skylight there, I think its what makes the whole scene dramatic...

my only cirt is that your logo keeps drawing my eye to the opisite end of where the action is.

other than that Nice

Old 02-15-2004, 04:37 PM   #11
sad
c4d9

Georg Niedermeier
freelancer
Germany

yes, the logo ainīt good there.

Old 02-24-2004, 11:49 PM   #12
sad
c4d9

Georg Niedermeier
freelancer
Germany

hereīs my new version. i screwed cam and light....dough!

Old 02-29-2004, 10:11 AM   #13
userBrian
Storytelling art

portfolio
Brian Linwell
caricatures,portraits
San Francisco, USA

I prefer the first image. I too like Magritte. To me this image is about movement. Some how about fear of change. If the ball moves the state of rest, symbolized by the chair, dissapears (or is destroyed). Something in the dark is unseen. How small the room is is unseen. It is the ego that is not allowed to stand up. A mockingly thin roof is held up by the innactivity symbolized by the chair. To move is to break the chair is to vanish the ceiling forever. In our subconscious is this room, always there, waiting for us to challenge it, or not. Are we free to express our ego today? Or keep our security in our hole...

Old 02-29-2004, 08:28 PM   #14
DirtySkillet
--Disturbed--

Ari M. Robbins
High School Student (freashmen)
USA

Send a message via AIM to DirtySkillet
Ohh, i see, thats a skylight. My bad. I thought it was a fluresant light.

I think that having the chain attatched to the wall takes away from the scense of pulling down. But it's also more dynamic.

Great work. A true sense of claustophobia.

Old 03-09-2004, 02:43 AM   #15
marc_taro
Production Designer

very evocative

This is a great one. Takes a moment to 'read' it, figure what it's about.

I liked it when the chain was hanging free, personally....

A tiny, subtle bit of volumetric coming down from the slit would be awesome.

The tiny bit of sky is great - it makes the room feel so small..would not have context without...

got more?
~m

share thread