Compile .cpp to .mll using Xcode

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 02 February 2014   #1
Compile .cpp to .mll using Xcode

My apologies if I am posting this in an incorrect forum. I was thinking of posting this in the Maya software forum, but figured that asking the folks on Graphics Programming may be more appropriate.

I am wanting to compile C++ source to be able to be loaded as a plugin in Maya 2014 for Mac. It is the spReticle plugin which Sony Pictures developed and made open source and user djx kindly adjusted for proper use in current Maya versions.

Since there is no compiled Mac OS version, I would like to create it myself, and also offer it public, if it works.

Doing some googling, I've noticed that I need something like Xcode to compile C++ stuff. I've installed it and successfully opened the .cpp file (woo!), but I do not know how to export it as .mll!

As you can tell, I am not a programmer... sorry for the rudimentary questions!

Thank-you for any help,

Old 02 February 2014   #2
XCode is an IDE, a text editor that allows to interface to a compiler and some other facilities, but you don't compile with XCode (more "through" you could say).
You Compile with GCC on Mac, XCode is just a way to interface with it, but you could do the lot providing a make to the compiler through the command line for all it matters.

Feel free to cross post in the Maya dev subforum if you want, I'd help but I don't have a Mac. Does the plugin come with a make file by the way? Opening the cpp or h files themselves doesn't count for much, they are literally just text files.

You also need to make sure you use the right GCC version for each release, which might or might not be the one coming with the OS by default, not infrequently it'll be an older version that's officially supported, and newer ones might or might not cut it.

Old 02 February 2014   #3
Ah, I see. Yes, it seemed like XCode is just a text editor, but I misunderstood some other instructions on the net, thinking that it also compiled code. Thanks for the clarification.

I will grab GCC. Are you suggesting I make sure it is compatible with my OS version? You mentioned that I need to find "the right GCC version for each release". By release, do you mean OS release or Maya release version?

Hmm... I cannot find any make files. All I see in the package are several .mll plugins already created for Windows versions of Maya, as well as a .h and .cpp file.

I will also ask this stuff in the Maya dev subforum! Thank you very much for your patience, ThE_JacO!!

Old 02 February 2014   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread