Adobe secretly adds anti-counterfieting technology into its software

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2004   #1
Adobe secretly adds anti-counterfieting technology into its software

Quote: Adobe revealed it added the technology after a customer complained in an online support forum about mysterious behavior by the new $649 "Photoshop CS" software when opening an image of a U.S. $20 bill.

The link

Quote: "The average consumer is never going to encounter this in their daily use," Mr. Connor said. "It just didn't seem like something meaningful to communicate."

Old 01 January 2004   #2
Yeah, there's already a long discussion on the subject:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=114118

There's also a 650-posts long thread on Adobe forums full of angry customers.

Old 01 January 2004   #3
and so there should be.

Old 01 January 2004   #4
Quote: Originally posted by halo
and so there should be.

Quoted for pure and unadultered truth.

Old 01 January 2004   #5
it pisses me off that "They" think we'll simply be okay with these HUGE sweeping changes there making.. BAH and i do hope that this either changes adobe or ruins them. No corperation should EVER think they can do this type of stuff and get away with it.

Launching July 1st!

Old 01 January 2004   #6
Thankfully unlike Windows, there are viable alternatives to Photoshop out there. Time to rediscover the wonders of Paint Shop Pro, me thinks!

Old 01 January 2004   #7
Paintshop Pro version 8 has the same limitations

Old 01 January 2004   #8
Whats wrong with you people. How does this ruin all of your lives? Don't even try telling me that scaning a new 20 bill is going to destroy your workflow...

Maybe if this world had a lot less assholes there wouldn't be any copy-protection of anykind... but the fact is people in general suck... and sucky people do shitty things.

Grow up and deal with it. Counterfitting is a huge problem, and some people who are using it to make money are terrorists. Anything that can be done to stop this problem is okay in my book.

Lets all get together and be mad when its something like "photoshop can't save images any more." That would be a ligit issue to fight over....not scanning a dam 20 dollar bill.....

Last edited by Jackdeth : 01 January 2004 at 06:47 AM.

Old 01 January 2004   #9
Quote: Originally posted by Refracted
Paintshop Pro version 8 has the same limitations

Oh well, at least it doesn't have product activation

Old 01 January 2004   #10
principle

principle jackdeath,
what happens if adobe starts to turn the same technology towards any other form of "unapproved" artistic endeavor ?

"Rarely do we find men who willingly to engage in hard, solid thinking. There is an almost universal quest for easy answers and half-baked solutions. Nothing pains some people more than having to think."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68),

Adobe as with most companies is and was looking for an easier solution than to fight off a lawsuit. They were looking at the bottom line, trust me not for the good of the nation "to not fund terrorism".

Old 01 January 2004   #11
Counterfiting isn't an artistic endeavor. It's quite clear in the laws that it is a crime.

The principle here is that evil people keep using technology for bad things... and because of that, companies have to install safety features.

Until this ACTUALLY effects any of your "artistic endeavors," I see this as a bunch of wasted debate.

Old 01 January 2004   #12
well... it affects most people working in the corporate and news fields. i've frequently had to scan in money for financial presentations, videos, stings, bg gfx etc so i fully expect to be impacted because of this at some future date.

essentially this is inexcusable, the idea that people are forging money on an inkjet printer and normal stock is frankly laughable. only a child could be fooled.

seeing as photoshop is meant to be a profesional solution this is becoming more and more of a joke. imagine if when the disney corporation needed some more mickey mouse dollars (or whatever theyr'e called) for their theme parks they went to a large scale printers to do the job, that profesional printer then printed only to find that their "profesional" press printed out directions to some fraud website because what was being printed contained elements common to currency, that would be totally unacceptable (yet isn't it strange how they would stand a far better chance of making a decent quality forgery with a good press than anyone with a modern inkjet or laser printer)... now adobe try and tell me once again that the software you're selling is a "profesional" solution.

Last edited by mdme_sadie : 01 January 2004 at 07:54 AM.

Old 01 January 2004   #13
Thats a pretty weak argument. Isn't it ture that the Treasury web site is offering legit clip art to use for digital work?

Also, I doubt this effects any of the exisiting clip art out there that still can be used.

I mean come on...

And like I said before, I don't mind people getting mad over stuff, but this seems really petty.

Old 01 January 2004   #14
Quote: Originally posted by Jackdeth
Counterfiting isn't an artistic endeavor. It's quite clear in the laws that it is a crime.

The principle here is that evil people keep using technology for bad things... and because of that, companies have to install safety features.

Until this ACTUALLY effects any of your "artistic endeavors," I see this as a bunch of wasted debate.

The problem isn't that its already illeagle and the program limits that... it could be ANYTHING like that and it was limited. Its the start of something, all major changes start small. Communism worked at first, but they just kept changing things till wam, you realise wait this isn't what we wanted.

THe fact is that its still a choice to break the law, whats the point of the law if it cannot be broken once and a while to be tested? People where given free choice by nature, why will we let other MEN (no one any better then ourselves) force us to do what they deem right. yeah sure the law says its what they want, but the law is still just by another guy or woman like yourself. If they can write it, then you have the right to break it. I actualy encourage anyone to once and a while do something that is "wrong" and unnacceptible, make someone angry becuase you didn't do what they wanted. Why? becuase if everyone does it once and a while (withing some moderation) then you slow down the inivitible fact that one day we will ALL be drones. Mind you there are still us few who one, and we'll be the major ass cog in the machine of "civilization" but I REALLY don't care about corperations.

Launching July 1st!

Old 01 January 2004   #15
Give me a break. This isn't the beginning of the end. You guys are really throwing yourselves on the stake over nothing.

If maya had a limit where you couldn't model a Lexus because of copyright limits... then fine... lets all get mad and burn them at the stake.

But this is totally different. This is like being mad at having metal detectors at the entrance to a concert. Do they invade your privacy?...yes. But do they help stop bad people from doing bad things?...yes again.

I'll cry you a river when that big job comes in and you HAVE to have the new 20 bill in it and you get screwed. Until then.... relax and let this go...

There are much bigger fish to fry...

Thread Closed share thread