Reel advice needed...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

01 January 2004
Reel advice needed...

Hi all,

Well I have decided it's about time I move on from my present company and so while over Xmas I started putting a demo reel together. It's currently about 45secs long at 15Mb low/medium quality...

This brings me onto the reason for posting it here, it's by no means finished as I am not 100% confident about the reel, more like about 70% so was wanting valuable feedback. I currently work in the (UK) education sector and previous experience was the aviation field. I would like to remain in the education sector for the time being as the games industry just won't pay enough plus the fact I don't have any materials to blow the games co's socks off.

Sorry for the yarn bit but if at all possible could you list :-

what you liked/disliked ???
what and how would you change it ???

and any other comments please feel free to pass them on so I can get my conifdence levels up above the 70 mark.

Cheers

sAm

PS. A preview of what is included in the reel :-

Website
Life in Black and White

01 January 2004
Is there a link to view your reel at?
VFX Journal

01 January 2004
Thanx for the reminder, d'oh !!!

http://www.plop.info/site/reel/reel_med.avi

Click Right Save as...

cheers

Website
Life in Black and White

01 January 2004
I'm sure you know this, but only show your best work on your reel. It looks like you are are making a modeling reel. Here's some general comments.

- Some of the shots seem overly long. I'd keep it 3-5 seconds max for each of the clips. Keep your reel moving.
- Have you thought about adding music? I know some people just shut off the music, but if your reel is edited to a catchy piece, it can enhance it.
- Open and close your reel with your best work, and place the rest in the middle.

My 2...
VFX Journal

01 January 2004
I agree with LFGabel... After the 2 hours of download (56k is so wonderful, really!) I watched it.

IMHO, the wireframe stuff to me almost feels like you added it to fill in time and lengthen your reel. I know its cool to see that whole effect from Wire to Solid, but like LFGabel says, it feels like a modelling reel. That last one, with the clock mechanism feels a little long as well...

But the work on there looks very nice, good work! Sorry - Hope that feedback was useful (or not?)

Kev.

01 January 2004
Hi peeps,

Thanx alot Kevman, I do appreciate the efforts you went thru' to view, and LFGabel for pointing out some worthy comments like where to find the reel

Well I am primarily a modeller but cos' where I currently work I have to do everything but I am no great texturiser/animator but I can get by if needed. But I do think I have gone way over the top with all the wireframe views so thanx for confirming that for me, I do plan on finishing the head off and with inspiration from Ray Bait (having watched his '99 modelling reel - a must watch) I have decided to animate just expressions in wireframe and solid side by side...

I do have more stuff but being work related I feel that I cannot show that stuff off and due to my procrastination I don't have much personal work to show off

I will be working all w/end now to get nearer my goal and hopefully I will receive oscar nominations for great work but thanx again this advice is mucho needed and as harsh as it can be, it will get me more motivated in nearing my final goal...

cheers

PS. I will update soon and Kevman I don't expect you to endure another 2 hour download so I may have to do a lower quality version for 56k peeps out there, I am spoilt having just got broadband at home, oh and I deffo. do recommend it...

Website
Life in Black and White

01 January 2004
A demo reel can take years to polish, but don't let that discourage you.

Don't get me wrong from my previous post. If you see yourself more as a modeler, make a demoreel for modeling. And wireframes are important in a modeling demo.
VFX Journal

01 January 2006
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread