Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 11-15-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
Darkherow
Expert
portfolio
W Lee
United Kingdom

Noah Official Trailer

So hollywood has recreated the story of Noah's Ark. The VFX looks great but the story, yes the story again, they have turned a biblical story into some sort of epic medieval war film. Also wasn't Noah a Hebrew and the story set in the middle east? I get the feeling of vikings for some reason. The other problem is the two of each animals concept, how do certain animals reach the ark from another continent? Also in the trailer, it seemed like there were more than a pair of certain animals. They have Russell Crowe as Noah, which I don't mind but it's great to see Anthony Hopkins alongside him(probably would have been an even more amazing noah though). The VFX is something to look forward to like any disaster movie.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
AJ
Totoro

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Alex Jefferies
Director
MDI Digital Ltd
Norwich, United Kingdom

I normally abhor anyone who will only comment on why they aren't going to watch/buy something, so in full 100% hypocritical mode - I have never felt less compelled to watch a film than I have by watching that trailer. I am still having difficulty processing that it actually exists.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
leigh
blahblah

CGSociety Staff
portfolio
Leigh van der Byl
A cog in the wheel
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

There certainly do appear to be a number of anachronisms in the trailer but eh. Perhaps Aronofsky is trying to acknowledge the fact that flood stories appear in numerous mythological traditions, and while he's chosen to focus on an Abrahamic character, maybe he's just trying to make it a little broader in appeal.

Or maybe it's because it makes it more badass. I'd be very surprised if this film has any kind of religious overtones or remains even vaguely faithful to the biblical tradition though. Ordinarily I'd not necessarily be interested in a film like this (these fantasy epics are starting to get a little tiresome and I'm not a fan of Crowe), but I love Aronofsky, so I'll probably check it out.

Old 11-15-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

I hate how Hollywood always over-dramatises true stories

Old 11-15-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
TheThidMan
Expert

portfolio
Hugh Wyeth
Visualisation Artist
London, United Kingdom

So much of the trailer seemed to be the same lukewarm action movie diarrhea served up by hollywood. He's one of my favourite directors- The Fountain is one of my favourite films, but i'm not impressed by the trailer. Also Russel Crowe doesn't seem like a good fit for Noah- seems like it's the usual "director chose the cast, studio chose the lead".

Gothic Cathedral Work in Progress
Flickr

Old 11-15-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

WTF? Aronowsky making propaganda?

And particularly with the @sshole evil version of "god"?

Now Ive seen it all.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

I'm a fan of Aronofsky, but this has WTF written all over it. There is not a face, and a palm, big enough....

Old 11-15-2013, 05:06 PM   #8
ice-boy
Expert
b
matrix
sl, Austria

concept trailers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8D75UYdgX5I
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4akpvgZ5pA

the trailer is for the general public. so its cut like a Bay-Snyder hollywood blockbuster.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #9
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Well... looks good to me.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator/rigger
NYC, USA

Huh, I actually liked the trailer at times. Some cringe moments but thought it looked interesting.

I think people need to relax a bit, just cause it's a plot from the bible doesn't mean it's going to ask you to accept jesus into your heart at the end. The bible is full of a bunch of really interesting, exciting stories, and I don't see anything wrong with using them.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 11-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #11
Kzin
Expert

portfolio
Holger Tesch
Shading/Lighting Artist
Germany

Send a message via ICQ to Kzin
looks really good sofar. and i read that the movie will also criticize relegion or elements of it.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:09 PM   #12
Artbot
Mostly Harmless

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael5188
I think people need to relax a bit, just cause it's a plot from the bible doesn't mean it's going to ask you to accept jesus into your heart at the end. The bible is full of a bunch of really interesting, exciting stories, and I don't see anything wrong with using them.

I thought it was visually interesting, too, but it's hard to not see this as a cynical attempt to cash in on both the "arthouse CGI loving crowd" (CotT, 300, etc.) and Christians who take this (clearly ridiculous) story as documentary truth (a very large market, at least in America). It's sure to be a lightning rod of controversy, which I'm sure won't hurt its marketing campaign.

The point is, Aronofsky could have told any fantasy story, if that was his goal. But making it a Bible story just supercharges the rhetoric and divisiveness around the film. Anyone who says "Eh, it's just a story that happens to be from the Bible" has clearly not been paying attention to what is going on culturally or politically in the US for the past 3 decades.

Perhaps the more, uh, broad-minded people around the world are able to see the story for what it is (a fable or morality tale), but there are a frightening number of people in the US (most who have never actually read the whole Bible) who view this sort of stuff as truth to be told, shared and enforced. Aggrandizing it on film like this does a service to no one.

Besides, after the story was told here, there's no need to tell it again.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:29 PM   #13
scrimski
antieverything
portfolio
J. Schreyer
head->wall
ARRI Berlin
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Also wasn't Noah a Hebrew and the story set in the middle east? I get the feeling of vikings for some reason.
Maybe it's Nah's rk, not Noah's Ark.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:30 PM   #14
LuckyBug
Building worlds

portfolio
Star Lord
DMP Environment Artist
MPC London
London, United%2BKingdom

Looking attractive, though it looks like they are trying to tell a story not as a fantasy but rather like a real deal, reminds me of creationists story about real ark and similar stuff.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:14 PM   #15
redbellpeppers
Lord of the posts
portfolio
Chris
Standing, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
I thought it was visually interesting, too, but it's hard to not see this as a cynical attempt to cash in on both the "arthouse CGI loving crowd" (CotT, 300, etc.) and Christians who take this (clearly ridiculous) story as documentary truth (a very large market, at least in America). It's sure to be a lightning rod of controversy, which I'm sure won't hurt its marketing campaign.

The point is, Aronofsky could have told any fantasy story, if that was his goal. But making it a Bible story just supercharges the rhetoric and divisiveness around the film. Anyone who says "Eh, it's just a story that happens to be from the Bible" has clearly not been paying attention to what is going on culturally or politically in the US for the past 3 decades.

Perhaps the more, uh, broad-minded people around the world are able to see the story for what it is (a fable or morality tale), but there are a frightening number of people in the US (most who have never actually read the whole Bible) who view this sort of stuff as truth to be told, shared and enforced. Aggrandizing it on film like this does a service to no one.

Besides, after the story was told here, there's no need to tell it again.

Marginalizing others?

Thread Closed share thread