Cool stuff on Autodesk Labs

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 11 November 2013   #1
Cool stuff on Autodesk Labs

Hi, we have been working hard to get some cool projects live on Labs this week.

First, we have an update of Project Pinnochio: http://projectpinocchio.autodesk.com/. This update adds more genetics amongst many things, which means that you can create a wider variety of characters.

Second, we have a brand new baby up there, it's called Project Khan (as in Star Trek's Khan): http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/khan. We have essentially created a Cloud service based on Donya's Lab Simplygon which is currently accessible through a plugin in Maya 2014. We'll be posting a video about that pretty soon.

In any case, both are Lab project, free to use. So just go up there and try it out. You can subscribe to their respective forums on the Area to post comments.

Have fun!
Alexandre Jean Claude

Old 11 November 2013   #2
This has to be a scam or else this is the worst thing Autodesk has ever produced. Those charakters looks like s...

Old 11 November 2013   #3
Hello Eraq...

Let me assure you this is not a scam. Project Pinocchio is the result of Autodesk acquiring Evolver Pro from a few years ago. The base meshes were taken from their existing character library in order to supply an immediate set of solid low to medium resolution characters for background, previs, architectural and animation work. But even now they are being improved upon for better quality.

I'll agree with you that the website needs a better example of what the tech can do, but while in labs, Pinocchio is still undergoing its own evolution. As a user of the original Evolver Pro, Pinocchio has made some great improvements. I'd suggest you give it try. You might be surprised by what you can generate.

Previsualization Society - Founder / Secretary
Independent - Sr. Previs & Layout Supervisor

Old 11 November 2013   #4
Looks cool to me

Old 11 November 2013   #5
LOL, Who put those body parts together...Freaking pumpkin head kid, sasquatch arm woman and "He's turning purple!", tourniquet guy.

Old 11 November 2013   #6
Looks great!
There are going to be previz folks, litigation animators, architects, engineers and many others that should find this very useful. Very nice initiative. Don't worry about crits from the peanut gallery who hath no folios.

Old 11 November 2013   #7
This might be a cool project, but those 3 characters look really creepy.
What happened to the guy? Was he beaten up? Is he a zombie?

Old 11 November 2013   #8
I really like this project,
it's very useful full pre-viz stuff, and also for some vfx shots, and crowd creating.

Really enjoy having a lots of parts to choose from, and assembling my characters.

Didn't like the Junior mesh thing.
Its just like a japanese "super deformed" character.
really helpful would be really to have kids, and choosing their age.

To me its a really good thing to have around.

Last edited by square-zero-one : 11 November 2013 at 01:16 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #9
Quote: ...Don't worry about crits from the peanut gallery who hath no folios

As if somebody needs a folio to point out the obvious. That pumpkin head deserves all the cackling from the gallery it can get.

Old 11 November 2013   #10
figures are creepy

Old 11 November 2013   #11
A less creepy non-web version of this, is a free tool called makehuman on makehuman.org

From an anatomy POV, the best morph based tool by far is humanZbuilder
http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showth...er-version-1-0-)

Last edited by mustique : 11 November 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Old 11 November 2013   #12
I don't know whats up with that image or the new little big-headed people (kids? really?) but it was pretty cool last week and the models didn't look like those on the front page.

Old 11 November 2013   #13
I've already found Pinocchio useful in a project where I needed to generate a bunch of different characters to show mocap data in a realtime app. It's been really handy.

Old 11 November 2013   #14
Originally Posted by eworc: As if somebody needs a folio to point out the obvious. That pumpkin head deserves all the cackling from the gallery it can get.

,....and yet it always seems to be the way don't it ?

Old 11 November 2013   #15
Oh, that`s nice.
You can convert the fbx-rig to a character-studio biped with a included maxscript.
And it`s possible to have facial expressions trough either morphs or facial rig.

May i suggest for a possible future version to have the option for exporting clothing as separate objects?

Thread Closed share thread