*Mother and Child*

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 01 January 2004   #1
*Mother and Child*

+digitalphoto + handpainted ps7/elements + optic mouse+

i was told to draw a beautiful portrait and this is what happened ;0]

Fernanda and her son Rafael
Original Photo

Last edited by dreamz : 01 January 2004 at 11:31 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #2
Ummmm. This just looks like a simple photoshop job. The faces don't integrate with the rest at all. And it make me feel any emotion. Its just a photo thats been messed with a bit.

Old 01 January 2004   #3
I agree with DirtySkillet. The faces don't seem to have anything to do with the rest of it..I'm not feeling any emotion at all in this.

Old 01 January 2004   #4
Something's wrong-

I'm going to side with Dirtyskillet as well. When I looked at the original photo and compared both, a lot of the skin structure is lost in the painting and only after I looked at the original photo did I realize that it was a boy.
I don't know quite what it is but I can't see any evidence of the emotion displayed in a mother and son embrace like I do in the photo. Maybe if you included more of the arms cradling the son.

Hope that helps a little-

Old 01 January 2004   #5
@DirtySkillet: hello there,

i can see from your profile that u have 14
just entering high school right!
hmmm your interests being girls and cg,
.... yeep i can fully understand your ignorance!

anyways, to clarify a bit my intentions and emotions,
the image was generated to evoque the feeling of LOVE,
i used a lot of imagination that is my main tool of trade,
i used a lot of smudge and brush work indeed,
i have choosen colors and used transparencys a lot as well,
in the upper left the white organic smudges,
symbolizes, light and life energy,
the lower part of organic frame symbolizes,
earth, nature, roots that bloom into a new flower,
if u look well u will see as well,
that both heads are forming an only HEART,
her hands and arms are transformed in feathers,
this is love born and reborn and reborn endlessly,
i trully hope i could erase a bit of your blindness!

oh, and one other thing,
unless u have constructive critiques,
i would suggest u stop posting at my images,
i realy don't feel like bothering the Forum Admin!

Last edited by dreamz : 01 January 2004 at 10:34 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #6
Oh, the kids a guy, sorry. My PM says its a girl. But read it anyway, because I think I justify my self a bit more. Also, it looks that the rest of the critiques here share my opinion. So I find it strange why U try to attack me, both in my opinion, and in just who I am.

Old 01 January 2004   #7
@Dreamz
I really like your work. It has such a wondrous dreamlike, fairydust quality about it. Some of your images look like memories (where your mind can't fill in all of the details, so the things that you do remember are that much more precious and jewelled). I definitely can tell your pieces apart from other artist's work.

I do, however, agree with DirtySkillet and others in the opinion that this piece does not look as integrated as it could be.
This piece falls short of the standards you set with your other works (Chiaroscurro, Pearls, and especially SecretLandz).

We are fellow artists just trying to help each other with artistic growth. There's no need for personal attacks.

Old 01 January 2004   #8
personal attack?! where?!
trying to defend my feelings and emotions from ignorance ;0]

Last edited by dreamz : 01 January 2004 at 09:10 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #9
ya it's the ignorance part that i feel is the personal attack! Please read the PM I sent you!

Old 01 January 2004   #10
DirtySkillet,

i will just remind u of something realy simple,
this isn't the WIP forum, or Critique forum, or other more technical forum,
this is the EVOCATIVE forum,
the only thing i can expect from You or Other visitor,
is in first place to respect the Forum spirit!

Creating art is a very Personal Experience,
it is how we see the world or,
its how we want to see the world,
even an abstract image that we captured,
in a split-second decision it is a representation of us,
as individuals, as artists,
we are touching on our softer side,
which can be surprisingly vulnerable,
we are opening our world up for others.

a piece of advise,
next time u feel tempted to write down your critique,
strive to be a litle more careful on teh chosen words,
strive to learn and post more constructive critique,
if u don't feel your emotions touched by an artwork,
just click another it's as simple as that.

if u felt ofended in anyway, pls accept my apologize.

oh, and i'm a girl not a guy!

cheers, tania

Last edited by dreamz : 01 January 2004 at 10:33 PM.

Old 01 January 2004   #11
I accept your Apology. Alright, is this susposed to be a portrait? Like something to be put on a mantel peice? Or is it susposed to be art work? Because I was attempting to critique it as art. If that is not the intent, then i will have some more respect for this image. If it susposed to be art, please understand that it is our (myself and the other posters here) opinion that this peticular image does not stir any kind of emotion in us. Purely as an evocative image it does not work. But if it is a commisioned photo simply to show a mom and her child being happy, this works.

You said that you didn't want to accept any critisism involving anything exept the emotion. but i will say that this picture needs a run on the wip forum. There lots of things technicaly wrong with it.

Old 01 January 2004   #12
I would remind those with open minds...

Art communicates and it is the responsability of the comunicator to be understood, not for the the viewer to understand. Any response you get, if honest is valid and valuable feedback. Writing off responses you dont like as ignorent is not helpful to your growth as a student.

The artist who pleases themselves most likely starve, the ones who please the masses are rewarded.

Rich

Old 01 January 2004   #13
hmmmmmm. Well pretty much all the great artists of all times had about 2 cents. And starved their asses off. So I don't agree with that, although its a completely valid opnion.

My opinion is that a true peice of art has every bit of meaning that it has to express in it. Every emotion of the artist should be poured into the picture untill its all there. So often the meaning is still in the artists head, not in the art they produce.

Old 01 January 2004   #14
Originally posted by DirtySkillet
hmmmmmm. Well pretty much all the great artists of all times had about 2 cents. And starved their asses off. So I don't agree with that, although its a completely valid opnion.

Thats not true. Most of the great artists were considdered popular in thier life times.

There are a few notable exceptions but I don't expect to win the lottery so I dont play. The odds are silly.

In my opinion it's silly and selfish to expect others to pay for ones self indulgence. While one who focuses providing for the enjoyment of others is rewarded for providing a service.

One might not see it this way but you will find that it is generally how the world works.

Rich

Old 01 January 2004   #15
true, true

share thread