Return of the Dragon Queen - Wing and Fire, Milan Schere (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

10 October 2013
Return of the Dragon Queen - Wing and Fire, Milan Schere (2D)

Title: Return of the Dragon Queen - Wing and Fire
Name: Milan Schere
Software: MARI, Maya, Photoshop, VRay

The Wing and Fire shot is from my personal short "Return of the Dragon Queen", a story about the metamorphosis of dragons through their interaction with humans. I used a mixture of photographic elements and brush work to create it. My painting technique heavily relies on pressure sensitivity, wherein the harder I press the more opaque my stroke becomes. To get the feel of my Matte Paintings right, I always try to utilize my own images. Never having been to Scandinavia, I was kindly granted permission by Dominic Remane and Sean Mills to make some of their photographic reference work within this personal piece. The 3D ship model is courtesy of my friend Alfredo Octavio Arango. The end result is this Styleframe with the now standard 2.40 film-look crop. I generally start out with a 16:9 aspect ratio and use a bounding box to help me keep all the important information within the final output framing.

10 October 2013
Wow very nice, but shouldn't this be in the 3D section?

NVus Designs - Inspiration for 3D Visualization and Architecture!

3D Visualization & Art
Interior & 3D Facebook

11 November 2013
Hey milanschere,

My jaw dropped, i love it, the scenery is amazing, that is the kind of image i put on my deskop that i could stare a it for so long.

Impressive.

| Coreldraw X6 | Cinema 4D R15 Prime | Lightwave 3D 11.6 | Moi 3D |

Google +

11 November 2013
--

That's a great use of perspective.

11 November 2013
really effective use of the environment to create the focus point.

very eerie and quite fitting.

11 November 2013
Thumbs up

You certainly know the technical aspects of these processes. The title was a little confusing since there's nothing to reference the "dragon queen" but I guess it's part of a body of work relating to the subject. I do like your use of perspective and I like that you referenced the people of whom you borrowed or used photos or images from. For some reason, the left side shore feels to straight (where the water meets the mountains), but I think its due to the comparison to the right side (viewer's right) since there's that more protruded hill that makes the water's edge curve around it (there's not much of that on the left side, so it feels too straight to the eye; although I doubt it was intentional, just an accidental optical illusion; but it takes away from your matte painting techniques). I like the lines of fog that's streaked over the mountain sides on the right (could've had a bit more on the left perhaps). I also like the stripes on the sails of the ship because it contrasts against the organic forms of the landscapes and helps draw your eye towards the subject matter. The forced perspective helps with that as well; so great understanding of composition there. Overall, your piece came out really well. Keep it up. Great job.

06 June 2014
Thank you

Thank you all for the kind words.
For more information on the Galera Real, please head over to Alfredo's website at: www.alfredoarango.com

I also have an Inprnt account now, for those interested in hanging this on a wall: www.inprnt.com/gallery/milanschere

Thank you again for the support.
Milan

Originally Posted by Spaceland: Hey milanschere,
My jaw dropped, i love it, the scenery is amazing, that is the kind of image i put on my deskop that i could stare a it for so long.
Impressive.

reply share thread