Variety:Will 'Gravity' Prompt Push for 'Visual Imaging' Oscar?:(VES Summit)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 10 October 2013   #1
Variety:Will 'Gravity' Prompt Push for 'Visual Imaging' Oscar?:(VES Summit)

Quote:

Cinematography, art direction and visual effects are so blended in new movies that it might be time for a new Oscar category to be introduced, admitted Hawk Koch, past president of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and current co-president of Producers Guild of America.
"
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne...y-prompt-651099
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

Last edited by RobertoOrtiz : 10 October 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #2
It looks like you pasted the quote twice. But I do agree, they have Oscars for seemingly everything else. So why not?

Last edited by thrivingartist : 10 October 2013 at 06:45 PM.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Thank God it is at a VES summit and unlikely to spurn real discussion at the Academy.

At least now we can dream of populist VFX driven movies like LOTR being recognized in the best Picture category.

A visual imaging category will be just another non-celebrity driven (aka less important) category with shortened acceptance speech time slots that get bumped by commercials.

I enjoy the idea behind the Academy Awards, if not the execution, and do not wish to see the Best Picture category completely free of science fiction and fantasy films; as opposed to the existing status quo where it is dominated by films which are not Science Fiction and Fantasy.

Want to know what is better than winning the Special Olympics? Not being in the Special Olympics.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
Originally Posted by Stankluv: Want to know what is better than winning the Special Olympics? Not being in the Special Olympics.

Not cool.

And I'm pretty sure this isn't the first time I've seen you make disparaging comments about disabled people either. Please go do it somewhere else.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
So.. they think it could be a NEW Category.. So you'd still have all the current ones plus a "Best Visual Imaging" category?

Looks like the kind of bone you'd throw at Directors/Teams who make the populist super-awesome spectacle movies, but to whom you cannot give Best Picture/Best Director.

Old 10 October 2013   #6
I am certain that I have never made disparaging comments about disabled people, outside of the phrase in question. Search is your friend.

I have used that phrase before, in an identical context, as I feel it illustrates my point succinctly and in a widely relatable fashion.

My initial point is that I do not wish to see many of the movies I seek out and enjoy be relegated to a diminished scope of recognition, as animation has.

Old 10 October 2013   #7
The question at the end of the day is does it really matter? The special olympics remark was crude but not far off the mark. Its a cop out category from the sounds of it.

"We dont know what cinematography is anymore, we have no idea if its computers graphics or miniatures, dont really care, so we'll just vote for something we think just looks good". Not far off the mark given Skyfall somehow lost that last year.

Thats like giving an overall "lookin good" oscar to an actor for best makeup and costume design because they looked really great in the movie, on top of best makeup or best costume design oscars. Does not compute.

Old 10 October 2013   #8
Originally Posted by Stankluv: I have used that phrase before, in an identical context, as I feel it illustrates my point succinctly and in a widely relatable fashion.

Speaking as a volunteer for the Special Olypmics who has worked with the athletes: No, it doesn't illustrate your point unless that point was that you're an ignorant fool.

Old 10 October 2013   #9
name calling aside...you seriously don't understand my point? Oh well.

Old 10 October 2013   #10
Originally Posted by Stankluv: name calling aside...you seriously don't understand my point? Oh well.

.... are you serious?

Do you really not understand why dinging me for 'name calling' is absurd after what you said?

Old 10 October 2013   #11
Yes I am serious.

Congratulations on your volunteer work. I have no personal qualms with the Special Olympics or Disabled People. Nor do I make jokes at their expense or tolerate jokes made at their expense in my presence.

The quote in question is particular to this discussion, so allow me to rephrase it.

Would I rather be an Olympian or a Special Olympian? My answer is that I would rather be a plain old normal Olympian. I hope that doesn't offend you, but it is a sincere truth.

I am sorry to have upset people by making a comment that is at the expense of the dignity, perceived or otherwise, of the Special Olympics.

If you do understand my point with regards to the topic at hand, instead of calling me names, please assist me and suggest a better alternative to my original comment.

Old 10 October 2013   #12
@Stankluv

How about indie / studios ? However that would means film made under $20 million to compete with films made around $200 million?

More politically correct, I guess.

BTW, what you said is right, it just not... politically correct.

Old 10 October 2013   #13
Originally Posted by Stankluv: I am certain that I have never made disparaging comments about disabled people, outside of the phrase in question. Search is your friend.

I have used that phrase before, in an identical context, as I feel it illustrates my point succinctly and in a widely relatable fashion.

I don't think your analogy is appropriate at all, especially not considering you're now using a pretty well known "joke" to supposedly illustrate your point. I'm no fan of political correctness, but this and your previous remarks have crossed a line, in my opinion, because they're simply poor analogies, and end up looking like you're just wanting to make jokes about disabled people. Whether that's your intention or not, that's definitely how it looks from here.

I actually agree with the point that inventing a new category isn't a good idea, but I don't think a comparison to the Special Olympics works at all, because the Special Olympics is just as prestigious as the Olympics, if you're not viewing the event from within a prejudiced view. I rather imagine that if you were a disabled athlete participating in the Special Olympics, you'd be just as proud as an athlete in the main event, and in an ideal world, everyone else would feel the same way, and that's why your analogy doesn't work.

I think the idea of a new category is silly simply because where does it end? I think that awards like Best Picture, Best Cinematography, Best Production Design and Best VFX cover all the bases sufficiently already for films like this. Frankly in this case I think Luzbeki deserves a nod in the Cinematography category; regardless of the medium he used, the principles of the craft remained the same.

Old 10 October 2013   #14
Doesn't the best visual effects award already cover this? I think adding more awards for various aspects of VFX will just confuse things. How far will it go, fragmented down to things like "best texturing" or "best bump maps" awards?

Old 10 October 2013   #15
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread