CGTalk > Main Forums > News
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
RobertoOrtiz
[Forum Leader]
 
RobertoOrtiz's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Roberto Ortiz
Illustrator/ Modeler
Washington DC, USA
 
Join Date: May 2002
Posts: 31,862
Send a message via MSN to RobertoOrtiz
Ender's Game - "Building Ender's World" - Exclusive VFX Preview (video)

__________________
LW FREE MODELS:FOR REAL Home Anatomy Thread
FXWARS
:Daily Sketch Forum:HCR Modeling
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
Artbot
Mostly Harmless
 
Artbot's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,122
While there's obviously a ton of talented artists involved in this film, I don't care if it turns out to be the ultimate awesome Avatar/Aliens/Star Wars mash-up: OSC will be getting exactly zero dollars from me, ever.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:51 PM   #3
Crotalis
Expert
portfolio
Jason
Designer
upper uncton ..., USA
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 437
Quote:
OSC will be getting exactly zero dollars from me, ever.


I've really only heard about Ender's Game second hand from friends who read the books and I've never read any of OSC's work myself so forgive me if this ends up being a stupid question, but.....

Why do you say that?
 
Old 10-28-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 16,141
Probably because OSC is a terrible human being.
 
Old 10-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Artbot
Mostly Harmless
 
Artbot's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crotalis
I've really only heard about Ender's Game second hand from friends who read the books and I've never read any of OSC's work myself so forgive me if this ends up being a stupid question, but.....

Why do you say that?


There's no need to go into details here. A simple google search should answer your question. People are certainly allowed to maintain whatever belief system they desire (depending on their country's laws, sadly), but their beliefs should not be imposed on others simply because they are not aligned with their own.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 10-28-2013, 05:23 PM   #6
grrinc
Expert
 
grrinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,332
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I only had an inkling as to what the story alluded too so I went in with very little. Very impressed and it would be a shame to see a film go no where because of the views of one of the guys involved. I'd imagine every film ever made has someone with a dodgy opinion involved in it.
__________________
Posted by Proxy
 
Old 10-28-2013, 06:13 PM   #7
Cometsoft
Expert
 
Cometsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc
I saw this last night and really enjoyed it. I only had an inkling as to what the story alluded too so I went in with very little. Very impressed and it would be a shame to see a film go no where because of the views of one of the guys involved. I'd imagine every film ever made has someone with a dodgy opinion involved in it.


I think "one of the guys involved" may be understating it. He wrote the book.
 
Old 10-28-2013, 07:30 PM   #8
grrinc
Expert
 
grrinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cometsoft
I think "one of the guys involved" may be understating it. He wrote the book.


So?That matters not one jot. If a thousand or so artists can see past the notion that we have all different opinions, than so can I. It is an enjoyable book and an enjoyable film. His opinions are not illegal. CS Lewis anyone?
__________________
Posted by Proxy
 
Old 10-28-2013, 08:11 PM   #9
Cometsoft
Expert
 
Cometsoft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by grrinc
So?That matters not one jot. If a thousand or so artists can see past the notion that we have all different opinions, than so can I. It is an enjoyable book and an enjoyable film. His opinions are not illegal. CS Lewis anyone?


Matters a jot to some. I don't think anyone mentioned illegal. It's your choice, if I find his views repugnant, I've got as much right to boycott it as you've got to support it. I actually did read Ender's Game when it first came out and did enjoy it. At the time I wasn't familiar with his views. Won't be sending any more money in his direction.
 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #10
Hirazi
none of the above
 
Hirazi's Avatar
...
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artbot
but their beliefs should not be imposed on others simply because they are not aligned with their own.

But isn't that basically what the people are also doing in condemning OSC? Boycotting this movie based on views of the author that aren't even evident in the book that has been put to film? There are more authors/directors/actors whose questionable views haven't prevented us to buy their books/watch their movies, etc.
Everybody's allowed to take their money elsewhere, obviously, this call for a boycott, however, would seem very dangerous IMHO.

Let me state explicitly that I do NOT share OSC's views...
__________________
unofficial Softimage community
 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:20 PM   #11
cresshead
pro 3d scribbler
 
cresshead's Avatar
portfolio
stephen gilbert
3d designer/animator
United Kingdom
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 3,453
Send a message via AIM to cresshead Send a message via Yahoo to cresshead
the ultimate 'boycott' is to choose not participate in any promotion, marketing, comments, forum threads etc.
__________________
stee+cats

http://www.cresshead.com
youtube channel:-
http://www.youtube.com/user/cresshead

"zero stones - zero crates"
 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #12
grrinc
Expert
 
grrinc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead
the ultimate 'boycott' is to choose not participate in any promotion, marketing, comments, forum threads etc.


Yeah but that's boring.
__________________
Posted by Proxy
 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 PM   #13
fuss
Natural Born Sinner
 
fuss's Avatar
portfolio
Marcus Holtgräwe
Germany
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 433
Well, he is crazy, and it makes me sad, but his Ender book series is brilliant and you do yourselves a disfavor by boycotting it based on the crap he says outside the books.
 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #14
Artbot
Mostly Harmless
 
Artbot's Avatar
CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Richard Green
The Man Who Sold the World
USA
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 5,122
I never said anything about a boycott. This is just where I draw the line for myself. I'm sure that rich studio heads probably spend their money on unsavory things/candidates/initiatives, etc., but in OSC's case, he was very vocal about his beliefs and how his earnings were used to support his political and social causes.
__________________
www.artbot.com

 
Old 10-28-2013, 09:59 PM   #15
Hirazi
none of the above
 
Hirazi's Avatar
...
Netherlands
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 983
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuss
Well, he is crazy, and it makes me sad, but his Ender book series is brilliant and you do yourselves a disfavor by boycotting it based on the crap he says outside the books.

Well, OSC is undoubtedly crazy, if only for the fact that he himself apparently blocks the film adaptation of the best book in the Ender series, "Speaker for the dead" to which "Ender's game" can be considered more of a prequel IMHO. Oh, and he's crazy for the other thing as well, obviously...
__________________
unofficial Softimage community
 
Thread Closed share thread


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
CGSociety
Society of Digital Artists
www.cgsociety.org

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000 - 2006,
Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Minimize Ads
Forum Jump
Miscellaneous

All times are GMT. The time now is 11:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.