how does professional usually model a low poly mesh

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

09 September 2013
how does professional usually model a low poly mesh

how does professional usually model a low poly mesh? did do start with a cube or a cylinder? or something else. i usually start with a cube, but i just want to know how people in pixar or some other film studio do it. thnx

09 September 2013
I think the question is a bit too generic to give a valid answer, so you might want to specify what exactly you want to know.
While I'm not working at Pixar or any big studio, it really depends on the object, for me its usually a mix of cylinders (e.g.lamppost, pistons etc.), cubes (walls, boxes, buildings in general), curves>Nurbs>Polies (more organic shapes, leaf, vase etc.), or simply by drawing a polygon and then extruding from there (e.g. when there is a given sideview, such as for characters).

Cheers

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by leonar3d: I think the question is a bit too generic to give a valid answer, so you might want to specify what exactly you want to know.
While I'm not working at Pixar or any big studio, it really depends on the object, for me its usually a mix of cylinders (e.g.lamppost, pistons etc.), cubes (walls, boxes, buildings in general), curves>Nurbs>Polies (more organic shapes, leaf, vase etc.), or simply by drawing a polygon and then extruding from there (e.g. when there is a given sideview, such as for characters).

Cheers

hi, then what if u want to model some character (humans, and some monster like in monster university)?

09 September 2013
Thats why its a good idea to preplan modeling the character before you attack it. Also modeling in pieces is a lifesaver when your not sure where or how to start at that. Many of the characters in Monster's University shared an oval/circular shape. You can start with a circle primitive but that may not be the funniest thing to extrude and push around. My favorite method was the way I was taught which is box modeling. Basically start with a box and add the appropriate edges to get that circular shape. Start with the stomach/torso, then move on to other parts such as arms, legs, head, then just connect them all together and adjust edge flow accordingly. Theres no real set method on how to go about it, its whatever works for you and is most effecient.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread