feathers with arnold (mental ray)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
feathers with arnold (mental ray)

Hi all! I'm very, very sory for making such a weird unstructured post but it's all because i'm going slightly mad %(
I have a task to make a bird (parrot) with feathers certainly. I've decided to make feathers with Shave&Haircut (by instances) and render it with Arnold. But fail! Arnold crashes every time i try to render. It happens only with Shave's instances.
So i've decided to try Yeti+Arnold. Fail again!! Arnold doesn't render yeti's shave at all. I think i've not installed something correctly.
After that I've tried to render Shave&Haircut's feathers with mental ray and its gone ok... But one little fail again! I need to apply texture over all the body of the bird not on the each fether. Bird has a pattern. I understand that my feather shader needs to get color from vertex but i don't have any idea how to do that.
MY QUESTION: Can someone suggest me working solution for feathers? It would be absolutely super-cool if it will be for arnold, but mental is also ok. If you can say me how to render feathers in shave&haircut+arnold or yeti+arnold or shave&haircut+mental ray you'll solve my problems at all.
P.S. Sorry one more time for such a strange post.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
Hi,

go through this it might help you..
http://www.jerrykon.com/jcFeather.html

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Maybe try this? It says it works also for Arnold. But never tried it:

http://www.creativecrash.com/maya/p...er-free-version

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Thanks, but I've solved my problem, just today, he-he) It was Arnold 0.23+Yeti 1.2.8. Works perfect! By the way I've tryed that script - it's not working on new versions of maya (it's done for 7th) or I've misunderstood something.
But still thank you for advice!)

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread