Problems with 2nd monitor

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Problems with 2nd monitor

Actually, it's a bit old - syncmaster 753s )
But everything else works with it perfectly: PS, Max, other applications
In maya, it just disables operations in the window moved to the 2nd monitor, like uv-editor, hypershade, etc. The panels are visible in those windows but the contents are not visible until you move the window back to the primary monitor, and then back again. After that, you can see the contents but they're not clickable, meaning that actions done are not sync'ed for e.g. viewport and UV-editor.
Geforce 440, latest drivers. I have a suspicion that some very older driver could help. But maybe anyone knows how to repair this in maya, without checking tons of drivers 1 by 1...

thanks in advance!

Old 09 September 2013   #2
I seem to recall this problem from way back and the only solution is to set the driver to span both monitors which has alot of drawbacks. What version of Maya are you using?

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Originally Posted by gmask: to span both monitors

sorry - what would such mode look like? not absolutely sure about my English: "span across 2 monitors" = "extend my desktop to the 2nd monitor"?)

I've checked with 2009 and 2012 versions - no differences

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Originally Posted by grayrath: sorry - what would such mode look like? not absolutely sure about my English: "span across 2 monitors" = "extend my desktop to the 2nd monitor"?)

essentially it would treat the two monitors if they were one very wide monitor.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
but do we have any other options - if we still wish to use our additional monitors? I mean, how can they be used without extending the desktop onto them?
I'm still on xp at home, but I saw no differences for win7 regarding this subject, actually

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Actually this depends entirely on your video card, and has nothing to do with the monitors themselves.

If you're using an Nvidia card (Geforce or Quadro) then go into your Nvidia Control Panel, pick "Manage 3D settings" under the 3D settings up top, then go to the Program Settings tab on the right. Add Maya to your per-application overrides, and then in the settings below, set:

"Multi-display/mixed-GPU acceleration" to Single Display Performance mode.

You can still use both monitors, and your menus should work fine on both.

If you're using an AMD card (Radeon, FireGL) then it will be a little different, but there are similar options in their settings too.

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 09 September 2013   #7
InfernalDarkness, you've cast the light of truth)
Actually, just changing the global settings for "Multi-display acceleration" from default "single" to "multi" has helped maya to behave as it was intended.

Tons of thanks

Old 09 September 2013   #8
I'm glad that helped! But if you see any weird artifacts or notice any tools behaving improperly, turn off "Threaded Optimization" in those same settings and try the Single-Display performance mode instead. Just an idea, it's helped a lot on some of my graphics cards over the years!

"Like stone we battle the wind... Beat down and strangle the rains..."

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Everything seems to work fine, no artifacts. Thanks again!

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread