URGENT: cannot open scene file

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
URGENT: cannot open scene file

Hey. Trying to open a Maya 2013 scene file this morning, which I saved last night without any problems. Its some emitters and particles, lite geometry, maybe some windows open, etc. When I open it, I get this:

"// File read in 0 seconds.
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2013/scripts/startup/setNamedPanelLayout.mel line 151: // "'

And nothing is showing up. Objects are in the outliner. But I can't view them or do anything to see them. BUT if I hit the render button, I can see the geometry.

When I open that mel file and put it into Maya's script editor to see what's on line 151, it's this:

"paneLayout -e -manage true $gMainPane;"

I can only get this when doing the ol google: http://forums.cgsociety.org/archive.../t-1098154.html
Which wasn't helping me much.

Last edited by BrianD24 : 09 September 2013 at 03:26 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
have you tried deleting your old preferences and restart? This is always a good idea if such errors occur.
If you don't want to delete all your preferences just locate the userPrefs.mel and delete this one. Most of these errors relate to some faulty information in this prefs file.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Thanks for the thought, didn't think of that one. But didn't work though, doesn't look like it changed anything with the problem.

Old 09 September 2013   #4
If I open the file in 2014 instead of 2013, I get the same thing:

// File read in 0 seconds.
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2014/scripts/startup/setNamedPanelLayout.mel line 151: //
// Warning: line 0: This file is from an older version of Maya. If saved, it will not be readable by previous versions. //

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Lightbulb

It sounds like it's erroring out on the UI configuration portion of the file. One thing you might want to try is to disable loading that portion of the file via the preferences. You can find the preference here:

0. Do the following before opening your file.
1. Browse to the following menu to open the prefs: 'Settings/Preferences > Preferences'
2. Under 'Interface > UI Elements', look for the Panel Configurations area.
3. Uncheck the 'When Opening: Restore saved layouts from file'.
4. (Optional) You can also disable saving the panel layout data to the file if you want here.

If that doesn't work another thing you can try if your file is mayaAscii is to delete the uiConfigurationScript from the file:

0. Make a backup of your file.
1. Open your file in a text editor like Notepad or Notepad++.
2. Search for 'uiConfigurationScriptNode'
3. Delete everything from the createNode script -n "uiConfigurationScriptNode"; and onward until the next createNode command (this should be visible by just deleting everything until the tab indents return to the start position). Hopefully you know a bit of MEL which should make this readily apparent.

Last edited by Keilun : 09 September 2013 at 04:02 PM.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Wow unchecking 'When Opening: Restore saved layouts from file' did it. The scene opens up like normal. I never would've thought of that. Thank you veryyyy much, was going to have a heart attack if this couldn't open properly.

Old 09 September 2013   #7
That's great to hear. I'm not sure what caused the problem, but clearly it was in the uiConfigurationScriptNode portion of the file which is used to restore your UI panel layout from when you saved it (if it was saved - which it is by default).

If you care about the feature of opening your scene with your panel layout exactly as you left it when you saved, then you might want to dig in and figure out what broke or submit it to Autodesk Support - might be a bug?

I typically don't like having panel layouts saved or restored on scene open, so I disable them.

Glad you're back in working order.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
I was going to say use file import, but you already got your answer

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Was able to open it up when I needed later that day, thanks again for taking the time. I'll leave that option unchecked then, doesn't seem necessary for my needs/uses.

Old 09 September 2013   #10
Something that I have found that works, as mentioned above if the unchecked option brings problems later. Import the saved scene into a new scene. That has saved me a number of times. Happy you found a workaround none the less. Terrifying when things don't work like they should, especially when under a deadline.

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread