A genuine Mirroring script....

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
A genuine Mirroring script....

It was a while ago now when I found this awesome mirroring script that through a series of nodes was able to mirror the real modeling and editing of poly meshes in realtime just like ZBrush. The center vert merge problem was never an issue and inserting edge loops or splitting faces etc. on one side of an object did the same to the other. It was not the same as duplicate special +instance. It was the real deal and I can no longer find it. Anybody seen this or another similar mirroring script?

Cheers.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 09 September 2013 at 04:39 AM.

Old 09 September 2013   #2
zhcg tools was the best for this but it stopped.dev at 2010....bummer

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Unfortunately I don't know the script you are looking for, but have you tried using the symmetry feature in the 2014 modeling toolkit? It works great for me except for the bridge tool doesn't work when in symmetry mode.

Old 11 November 2013   #4
Seems to work pretty good actually. Biggest flaw I can see is that it's not saved per object. If you have multiple objects in a scene you have to reset the symmetry every time you switch between them. Or am I missing something?

Old 11 November 2013   #5
Originally Posted by egglybagelface: It was a while ago now when I found this awesome mirroring script that through a series of nodes was able to mirror the real modeling and editing of poly meshes in realtime just like ZBrush. The center vert merge problem was never an issue and inserting edge loops or splitting faces etc. on one side of an object did the same to the other. It was not the same as duplicate special +instance. It was the real deal and I can no longer find it. Anybody seen this or another similar mirroring script?

Cheers.

I don't get it here...Do you mean that script had also that function to auto merge verts , something as it is the case with Mirror Cut but you had symmetry? ..or..it was not that important to you to merge them? You just need that one side of an object did the same to the other?

Old 11 November 2013   #6
With that script, the merging of center verts was a non-issue... the mirroring behaved the same as zbrush's symmetry.

I still haven't found it.

EDIT: It seems I pretty much repeated my original post.... but that's because what I wrote then and what I wrote now is dead to the point. What's not clear? There's no easier way of explaining it.

I haven't got M2014, perhaps its built into the new modeling tool kit / NEX.

Last edited by egglybagelface : 11 November 2013 at 01:00 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #7
But then making instance with Duplicate Special is exactly as in Zbrush, behaves identically. I wish only that it has that auto merge verts option, then it would be perfect symmetry.

It's exactly the same as in Zbrush when you would make, for example, a cube, it makes the another cube that fallows whatever you are doing on first selected cube..from edit components to move, scale and rotate...the same is with dublicate special + instance.
Except in zbrush using dynamesh you can connect them on the centar "plane" but in Maya you would have to use Mirror Cut for that, or manually bridge them or something.

Last edited by klaudio2u : 11 November 2013 at 01:27 PM.

Old 11 November 2013   #8
No it is not symmetry like Zbrush it is a hack. A veruy good hack bit it lacks the center point lock.

That is what he is saying. A true symmetry tool (Mirror modifier in Blender for example) is the real deal and you don't have to worry about the center verts.

By the way is there a way to lock a group of points so they can not be moved on one axis?

Old 11 November 2013   #9
Yeah i know it's not a proper symmetry unfortunately. With Modeling Toolkit symmetry solved few problems but it's definitely not there yet as symmetry as every other 3D app has.

Quote: By the way is there a way to lock a group of points so they can not be moved on one axis?

There is "vertex locking" at the bottom of modeling toolkit. To lock selected verts on certain axis, select one (or more) axis in transform options before locking verts.

Old 11 November 2013   #10
Ah that's right I do remember reading that now in the docs, duh. Forgot.

Thanks for the tip.

Old 11 November 2013   #11
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread