The story behind Pixar's OpenSubdiv

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
The story behind Pixar's OpenSubdiv

A new feature on fxguide:

http://www.fxguide.com/featured/pix...-detailed-look/

Old 09 September 2013   #2
I love these articles that fx put out.

Great to see SideFX will be adopting OSD in the upcoming release of Houdini 13.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Good stuff; thanks for sharing.

Interesting to see that Open SubD is GPU oriented not CPU

Old 09 September 2013   #4
Originally Posted by AncienRegime: ...

Yep, maybe Pixar will also release a GPU version of Renderman. (They should call it renderboy ) There was a video around where Nvidia's Optix tech was utilized for some rerender development at Pixar, anyway...

A standardization in subd algorithm is cool, and OSD creases are nice and all, but what gets me excited about openSubdiv is that GPU speed, which is going to allow us to animate the final character in full detail in realtime.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
Originally Posted by mustique: which is going to allow us to animate the final character in full detail in realtime.

Well, the geometry can be drawn in realtime, but I guess there are still a lot of stuff that can slow down the rig, deformers, rig components ect.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Originally Posted by AncienRegime: Good stuff; thanks for sharing.

The concept of OpenSubDiv is neither GPU nor CPU oriented. The developer gets to choose which platform will perform the refinements depending on their hardware.

www.silviapalara.com

Old 09 September 2013   #7
Originally Posted by doffer: Well, the geometry can be drawn in realtime, but I guess there are still a lot of stuff that can slow down the rig, deformers, rig components ect.

Yep, but even if your rig works in realtime, it was impossible to interact with a million poly character in your view, you had to render it. With OSD, there's no difference in basemesh interaction and displaced high poly interaction in the workspace. Cause the subded geometry is handled by the GPU itself and the cpu just knows about the rig+basemesh.

Old 09 September 2013   #8
I am glad they show the advantages of crease edges in the article. IMHO that is the most appealing thing for me. I see a lot of potential for rigging plus it has been a real life-saver for me when I was cast to convert CAD models to something Renderman, Maya and me could deal with. This has been the one killer feature that I was always missing in other modelling packages. I believe Modo adopted it as well at some point, but I dont know how well/popular that was/is.

Old 09 September 2013   #9
Anyone using openSubdiv in maya?

Which version?

Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

Old 09 September 2013   #10
In the YT vid the man is using Presto is that available to non-pixarians?

Old 09 September 2013   #11
Originally Posted by Buexe: I am glad they show the advantages of crease edges in the article. IMHO that is the most appealing thing for me. I see a lot of potential for rigging plus it has been a real life-saver for me when I was cast to convert CAD models to something Renderman, Maya and me could deal with. This has been the one killer feature that I was always missing in other modelling packages. I believe Modo adopted it as well at some point, but I dont know how well/popular that was/is.

I think modo and maya use the same sub-d method because you can export a creased model from modo to maya and it comes in with all crease values intact and looking the same.

Old 09 September 2013   #12
I hope they will implement it soon into Softimage too.

Old 09 September 2013   #13
Originally Posted by gauranga108: Anyone using openSubdiv in maya?

Which version?

Pros and Cons?

Thanks!

My understanding from watching all the videos/reading the articles is that only AD and Pixar insiders are using it -- because it hasn't been released yet in Maya. We should see something tangible in the next major release, and hopefully with a reasonably mature toolset implementation to back it up. And most likely in Mudbox as well. And hopefully they will also have worked out how to represent the data in FBX for interchange which will open up a lot of possibilities.

If folks are familiar with Maya's Smooth Mesh Preview, I believe they said that uses a Catmull Clark SD algorithm, but isn't OpenSubdiv-based (yet).

Old 09 September 2013   #14
Luxology licensed Pixar Sub-D's a few version back I believe they traded Pixar for something else it's the same algorithm that's been in Maya for quiet sometime..

The Modo implementation is pretty simple you just press shift-tab for the Pixar smooth or just tab for the luxology version, the Luxology version is actually far lighter but the Pixar one produces a far better result surface.

This new implementation really won't act to different to what we have now (i use the creasing heaps now it rocks) I think the biggest difference is that it's super fast now and open source so it can exist in far more packages..

Old 09 September 2013   #15
Originally Posted by gauranga108: In the YT vid the man is using Presto is that available to non-pixarians?

No, that's a Pixar internal tool and it's not commercially available.

www.silviapalara.com

Thread Closed share thread