Awangga's King

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 09 September 2013   #1
Awangga's King

Hey all, that is my last redesign character from my last project in university. Below i included my final image, a process image, and the image before i modified .
He was Karnamandra. Karnamandra was an asura/giant from Indonesian's culture, he also a king from Awangga's region.
Based on my culture especially in shadow puppet story, an asura could transform into an animal or an evil spirit. Because of an asura/ giant like wars, I try to make his armor seem damaged, so i added rough texture and painted over above it. I also modified his old skin, at this new image I want to make my character more dull, impressive and creepy , but the human forms whose i made before did not vanished
Because of no rule/ background story about he was, everyone could imagine what form he had. The spiders forms was my personal concept. A spider was an animal that live alone (not clustered animal), set a trap, or sometimes consumed their spouse for surviving. If it juxtaposed with a real life, it would look like a bad habit that must be avoided. Finally, that was a reason why I made this character not for main character.
So the things that I not sure was he seemed not like an evil spirit, should I add a little ghost effect? Thx

and below was a picture before i redesigned

Old 09 September 2013   #2
The original design is more stylized and would be more suitable for a younger audience or a more lighthearted story, while the new design is more hardcore. When you do your designs, do you think about the narrative itself and what kind of IP it is (for example, it's for an animated TV series aimed at ages 6~12, or a PG-13 rated animated feature film, or a AAA action/adventure video game). Having a clear idea of what purpose your design serves, is very important, because the purpose itself will dictate how your design should look.

Old 09 September 2013   #3
Thx Lunatique,
Yeah, i almost forgot wrote about who was my target market. The purpose before i redesigned was young teenage between 12 till 15 years old, and of course i adjusted my target market about what style and picture they liked, so the result we could look in last image.
So, when i redesigned the new one, the purposed was changed, I try to improve my target market into young adult ( approximately between 20 - 25 years old)

Old 09 September 2013   #4
There isn't a market segment specific to 20-25 year-old adults that I'm aware of. Usually target audiences are divided into ranges similar to pre-school children, grade school children, adolescent, young adult, adult, middle-age, elderly.

The newer design is less stylized, but generally speaking, it's still well within the established range of comic book/video game look that is popular with audiences from adolescent to adult. But with today's audience, stylized approaches like the original design is also very popular to the same range of audience (otherwise Pixar, Dreamworks, WoW, and various stylized video games wouldn't be so popular even among adults).

I think the narrative/premise and the overall mood of the IP will determine how stylized to get. For example, is there a lot of humor in the story? Is the humor very simple so even kids can understand, or is it more sophisticated and requires more knowledge/education? How dark does the story get in terms of adult themes? How violent/sexual does it get? These are all things to consider when doing redesigns for an IP.

Technically/artistically, both versions look good to me--I don't see anything alarming to point out.

If you want him to appear more like an evil spirit, you can make him partially translucent, like a phantom, and maybe self-illuminated with a trailing glow as he moves.

Old 09 September 2013   #5
thx lunatique,
There was a difference custom (habit) between I and u, when we said about target segment. In my country sometimes we used to using range age for defining target market, for example 20 till 25 years old, 12-15 years old, and etc. I understood what u mean, and because of that is a international forum, next time when i said about target segment, i will divide it as same as like u do . This character used for a board game ( sorry not to tell u before)

Honestly, shadow puppet or in my language we called it "Wayang" was not popular in teenager life, but shadow puppets story had a lot of local wisdom messages. The teenagers said shadow puppets seemed ancient, countrified, was not suitable for their age and frequently they said wayang just suitable for old people, like their parents or grandparents. We could say, the teenage need a nice look and also a popular design. Because of the reason, i made my character more general and hoped my design was liked by my audience. Traditional element (in the armor), typical accessories in the ear, and also typical crown were the equipment which used by wayang (shadow puppets). Added this typical shape made the character more local but still favored by audiences. I appreciated and thanks if u said my new design less stylized, and it was a good input for me

Yeah, i agree with u, added personal expression that described about who he is. I thought it could give a educational message to audience. The giant/ asura liked a war, grumpy and thanks for suggesting me added mood and expression. I will add later.

And finally, why I decided redesigned my character and improved the target segment? Because The old one have a lot of anatomy mistake, and seemed weird for me, so i wanted to repair it. Flatness and too long story in shadow puppet show, made the young adult audience didnt want to come, see, and enjoy the show. So, same with my last project in my university, I want to make another way for enjoying shadow puppet story.
Sorry for long explanation, and I hoped u understand what i mean, because my English and grammar are not good.

Old 09 September 2013   #6
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread