Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Sony releasing VR headset for PS4 (similar to Occulus Rift)

This is huge:

Quote:
Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.

It originally intended to reveal the headset at Gamescom but plans fell through at the eleventh hour. The company is currently weighing up whether the PS4 device should be pitched as a key differentiator for the console or a non-essential add-on.

The matter has been slightly complicated, but not derailed, by the growing industry support for Oculus Rift. Sony's device will be a categorical rival to Oculus, and for months there have been rumours suggesting the two companies are seeking a partnership.

Sony is preparing to reveal the final piece of its PS4 hardware strategy at TGS by showcasing a PlayStation-branded virtual reality head-mounted display, CVG has learned.

It originally intended to reveal the headset at Gamescom but plans fell through at the eleventh hour. The company is currently weighing up whether the PS4 device should be pitched as a key differentiator for the console or a non-essential add-on.

The matter has been slightly complicated, but not derailed, by the growing industry support for Oculus Rift. Sony's device will be a categorical rival to Oculus, and for months there have been rumours suggesting the two companies are seeking a partnership.

Anybody who put on a Occulus Rift can attest that VR is the next big thing. Now it has a chance of going truly mainstream. I am quite excited for this considering indie game devs can self publish on PS4, we should see some amazing stuff come out of this.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
rhinton
John Smallberries
portfolio
Russell Hinton
Tourist City, USA

...if I was to put this on...my girlfriend would never let me hear the end of it.

The kid inside me loves this thing, the grown adult inside would say, "This is a great way to completely isolate yourself from everyone else in the room and look like a toolbag."

I wish I tried the Oculus Rift, but I feel after an hour of this I'd be throwing up.
What a great incentive to get potential buyers away from the Xbone.

Old 09-03-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
JakeJK
Know-it-All

portfolio
Jake Juel Kousholt
Modeller
Framestore
London, United Kingdom

I've only tried the Oculus Rift briefly, however that was more than enough to get me convinced. This is absolutely awesome. Hook it up via a treadmill when you play call of duty and obesity among gamers will be completely gone.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJK
I've only tried the Oculus Rift briefly, however that was more than enough to get me convinced. This is absolutely awesome. Hook it up via a treadmill when you play call of duty and obesity among gamers will be completely gone.

I forgot the name of the product but there is a omni directional thread mill that acts as the controller. Saw a demo of that combined with occulus rift that looked amazing where they were playing Skyrim with it.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:22 PM   #5
DanHibiki
Expert

portfolio
- -
Senior 3d Animator
Invivo communications
Richmond Hill, Canada

I just hope no one is dumb enough to incorporate the Kinekt or some other mo cap tool with this.

Old 09-03-2013, 06:45 PM   #6
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHibiki
I just hope no one is dumb enough to incorporate the Kinekt or some other mo cap tool with this.

What do you mean?

Old 09-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
JakeJK
Know-it-All

portfolio
Jake Juel Kousholt
Modeller
Framestore
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheepFactory
I forgot the name of the product but there is a omni directional thread mill that acts as the controller. Saw a demo of that combined with occulus rift that looked amazing where they were playing Skyrim with it.

Yeah, that thing was on kickstarter wasn't it? It looked awesome! ..

DanHibiki, I for one hope they include mocap stuff.. How awesome wouldn't it to hide behind the couch in a shooter? ..

Or actually, if you could just freeze up an entire football field for you and fellow gamers and play a zombie survival mode where you'd run around in full on screaming panic and shoot zombies?! There'd be obstacles physically, but looking through the RV they'd look like damage buildings, etc... and the zombies would only be virtual .

Old 09-03-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

If they price it like their other head mounted displays then it won't be worth the cost. The last one they did was 720p and cost like $900 (that's wired, no motion tracking and the screens are pretty small).

BTW, Microsoft has something similar in the works, some type of VR/AR headset. Which would be pretty awesome to use with the Kinect. Probably won't be out until next year though.

As far as motion controls go, I'd prefer this: http://sixense.com/wireless
Wireless motion tracking controllers in each hand and then a motion tracker you can attach to each foot and one you could clip to your shirt. It doesn't track everything but it's wireless and it'll give smoother (and faster) tracking than the Kinect, and you could actually play a shooter since the controllers have buttons.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
Venkman
Don't cross the streams

portfolio
Peter Venkman
Frederick, USA

I hope it is amazing - and I hope it works with glasses!

Old 09-04-2013, 12:52 AM   #10
ambient-whisper
Gone travelling :D

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Martin Krol
Pixomondo
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthviper107
If they price it like their other head mounted displays then it won't be worth the cost. The last one they did was 720p and cost like $900 (that's wired, no motion tracking and the screens are pretty small).

BTW, Microsoft has something similar in the works, some type of VR/AR headset. Which would be pretty awesome to use with the Kinect. Probably won't be out until next year though.

As far as motion controls go, I'd prefer this: http://sixense.com/wireless
Wireless motion tracking controllers in each hand and then a motion tracker you can attach to each foot and one you could clip to your shirt. It doesn't track everything but it's wireless and it'll give smoother (and faster) tracking than the Kinect, and you could actually play a shooter since the controllers have buttons.

the oculus vr can be purchased for $350 or so, and its using old tech.

The updated retail version shouldn't be much different.

Old 09-04-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
alexyork
www.atelieryork.co.uk

portfolio
Alex York
Founder of Atelier York
Atelier York
London, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJK
Yeah, that thing was on kickstarter wasn't it? It looked awesome! ..

DanHibiki, I for one hope they include mocap stuff.. How awesome wouldn't it to hide behind the couch in a shooter? ..

Or actually, if you could just freeze up an entire football field for you and fellow gamers and play a zombie survival mode where you'd run around in full on screaming panic and shoot zombies?! There'd be obstacles physically, but looking through the RV they'd look like damage buildings, etc... and the zombies would only be virtual .

That actually sounds quite awesome.... a bit like Laser Quest but more advanced. I can see companies springing up offering this kind of "experience" quite soon!

Old 09-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #12
DeanPunchard
PRO
portfolio
Dean P
Freelance 3D Artist
Ard Digital Ltd
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexyork
That actually sounds quite awesome.... a bit like Laser Quest but more advanced. I can see companies springing up offering this kind of "experience" quite soon!

If coupled with AR, the limits are endless.
Facebook

Old 09-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
CHRiTTeR
On the run!

Chris
Graphic designer extraordinaire
Belgium

Keep in mind though that you dont see your 'real' surroundings when you have one of these on.

So i dont think its quite safe to start doing some crazy mocap/kinect/motion tracking stuff with this stuff on, imho...

Old 09-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #14
marcuso
infinitesimal

Marcus Ottosson
London, United Kingdom

Kinect, mocap et al have some strong latency (~100ms). One of the main problems Carmack struggled with was lowering the latency cause otherwise you wouldn't buy the illusion.

Old 09-04-2013, 02:38 PM   #15
SheepFactory
Expert
CGSociety Member
portfolio
x y
Canada

I heard rumours that the Sony headset supports lean and tilt. Can't wait to see the unveiling at TGS.

Thread Closed share thread