DIY portable display (save money on the cintiq Companion/Hybrid)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

08 August 2013
DIY portable display (save money on the cintiq Companion/Hybrid)

I thought I'd share this idea to see if anybody likes it. If this is in the wrong forum please tell me and move it. I think it fits in the news forum since people are talking about wacoms tablet here but I could be wrong.

-Short version

Laptop in custom fit backpack, Cintiq HD13 powered in on a universal laptop battery.

-The benefits

Costs Less for better hardware
Some choice of hardware (choosing laptop)
Only holding the screen, since backpack is has the hardware.
Can replace laptop for better hardware (instead of the whole tablet)
Could be semi water proof
Use on a desktop (Companion can't), or photoshop/3D portablt

-Whats needed

(to power the HD13)
30 pin to DC Plug
*took out a non needed wire*
Universal laptop battery
&
material to make backpack
laptop & HD13

-Longer version

A custom fit backpack (like the camelback water holder), that you can take with you to draw/sculpt on location. The backpack I am having made uses water proof material and is going to include a tent like flap to cover the holes for the fans/ports in case of rain. I think someone could make the whole backpack water proof when not in use, to prevent damage if they fall in a river or something.

Some things to consider for the backpack, is to have the laptop tight on your back, so you might want separate compartments for the extra battery, or to store the HD13 when not in use. The material should also fit tight around the laptop for the holes.

With the laptop you need to think of were the fan will be, which side has the ports (make sure the USB and HDMI are are the same side for the HD13s wires to plug in)

With the battery the DC plug and the battery need to be the same size, and be the same volts as the display.

Well if anyone has any questions please ask and tell me what you think of this idea.

-Aehdan

Last edited by calinabris : 08 August 2013 at 05:14 PM.

08 August 2013
...thats exactly the way , i was thinking.

Amongst the alternatives i see:
a bigger i-pad with z- brush- cinema4d apps (just kidding),
The new surface pro with haswell , and the wacommobiles, this configuration you mention
Seems to be the most attractive.
I guess someone offering some custom fit backpack could make good money on it.

I hope though, Wacom wont stop its production to strengthen their new mobiles..

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by calinabris:
-Whats needed

(to power the HD13)
30 pin to DC Plug
30 pin to 30 pin females
Universal laptop battery
&
material to make backpack
laptop & HD13
Side-stepping the logistics of powering the Cintiq 13HD from a dedicated battery and the cost of designing/manufacturing a bespoke backpack, how much would these separate components cost?

Last edited by AJ : 08 August 2013 at 09:13 AM.

08 August 2013
Cintiq is $1,000
A crappy laptop at $500 or an OK laptop at like $800, you're not really saving much. And now you have to carry a backpack and have a cord going to it from the Cintiq. And that Cintiq doesn't have touch. I don't think this is really a great alternative.

08 August 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: Side-stepping the logistics of powering the Cintiq 13HD from a dedicated battery and the cost of designing/manufacturing a bespoke backpack, how much would these separate components cost?

The laptop 500-900 and the Cintiq 1k, The wire is 1.50, and the battery I bought cost 100 (though if you don't look around for sales it could be double). So before the backpack that is about 1k saved (even with the low end laptops) and better hardware if you get the companion or same price and way better hardware and programs than the Hybrid. Also the laptops have a dedicated graphics card.

As for the cost of the backpack I cannot accurately say as I'm getting recycled material for it and am making it with my mom and her friend.
I think you could go to your locale fabric store and ask if they have any sewing groups and see if anyone there is interested in making it for you, but their prices would vary.

the cintiq not having touch, it does with the pen. Carrying the backpack, I see how others would not like this, but for me I figure if I'm moving I'm going to have to carry the tablet anyway. But now I have the option of holding the backpack or putting it on my back. And if you're going to draw landscapes somewhere you're going to want to carry it in a backpack anyway.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by calinabris: The laptop 500-900 and the Cintiq 1k, The wire is 1.50, and the battery I bought cost 100 (though if you don't look around for sales it could be double). So before the backpack that is about 1k saved (even with the low end laptops) and better hardware if you get the companion or same price and way better hardware and programs than the Hybrid. Also the laptops have a dedicated graphics card.
Doing a cursory search for laptops, $900 doesn't get you a lot. I realise there are going to be better suppliers than Dell on price, but using them as an example $999 gets you this

3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3337U processor (3M Cache, up to 2.7 GHz)
4GB DDR3 1600MHz Memory
500GB 5400 HDD with 32GB mSATA
Intel® HD Graphics 4000
Starting at 4.6lbs (2.1kg)

With the exception of the graphics card, these are all lower specs than the Cintiq Companion.

Also, the Cintiq HD power supply provides 19VDC at 1.58A - does your $100 laptop battery supply the equivalent power? If so, how are you connecting it to the Cintiq? You mention a 1.50 cable but the 13HD has a bespoke connector.

Sorry if this seems like I'm really bashing your idea, I'm honestly not doing so out of spite. I had the exact same thought as you a while ago and all of my research led me to conclude that it's prohibitively expensive.

09 September 2013
I think part of the reason that Dell laptop's out of the price-range is the premium charged for the
"ultrabook" form factor. If you're OK with more of a brick, searching Amazon's laptops for "dedicated graphics" in the $500-900 range yields a number of results, and I imagine there are more customizable options on other sites.

Still, I wonder if the solution proposed by calinabris might be more suited for those who already have a powerful laptop and want a portable Cintiq to go with it. In that case the choice comes down to ($1,500 Companion Hybrid) vs ($1,000 13HD + cost and bulk of extra battery).

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by AJ: Also, the Cintiq HD power supply provides 19VDC at 1.58A - does your $100 laptop battery supply the equivalent power? If so, how are you connecting it to the Cintiq? You mention a $1.50 cable but the 13HD has a bespoke connector.

Sorry if this seems like I'm really bashing your idea, I'm honestly not doing so out of spite. I had the exact same thought as you a while ago and all of my research led me to conclude that it's prohibitively expensive.

The cintiq connects to the power supply cord through a 30pin. So you need to buy a 30pin to DC plug (the 1.50). and the battery needs to supply 19v (All I've seen do but make sure).

as for the laptops I'd search newegg they have a lot of cheap ones, and with what patfour said, don't get a ultrabook/tablet.

Originally Posted by patfour: Still, I wonder if the solution proposed by calinabris might be more suited for those who already have a powerful laptop and want a portable Cintiq to go with it. In that case the choice comes down to ($1,500 Companion Hybrid) vs ($1,000 13HD + cost and bulk of extra battery).

But there are a lot of other things to consider. A few being.
Companion
can't connect to desktop
Gives photoshop & 3d programs

Hybrid
can connect to desktop
no 3d but has sketching (they mention taking that to PS to finish the drawing)

And both will not allow you to buy new hardware down the road and keep the screen (that is going to save a lot of money).

I will say after they changed the companion from 4gb ram to 8gb it does look a little better, but the price is still 1k more then what I paid for mine (not including backpack price). And for $120 more I can put 16gb ram in my laptop (also when buying a laptop you can save by looking to see how much ram can be put in, then replacing the ram) make sure it is replaceable though.

also the bulk of the hardware/battery is not being held as with what a tablet will give. the screen is 2.65lb, the companion/hybrid 3.9lb, the 1.3lbs is being held and will be felt even more than on your back.

Though I could try out the difference with drawing for a while with an equivalent weight on my screen, I think something like that will be up to the individual.

Last edited by calinabris : 09 September 2013 at 03:53 AM.

09 September 2013
How are you saving 1k? The Cintiq itself costs 1k, if you want to save money over the 2k Cintiq Companion then that doesn't leave you much for a laptop.

09 September 2013
I was comparing it to the 512gb companion; I did miss read the price of 2,499, as 2,599, and you are right, when I said that I forgot to take into account the battery, so 800 is saved.

here's the laptop I got, it was 600 when I bought it. (there was also 5 other laptops from 500-600)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...N82E16834216539

I got it when their ram was still 4gb, so until I upgrade my ram the tablet will have 2gb of more ram, and an i7 (haven't seen which one though) over my i5 of the same generation.

09 September 2013
Originally Posted by calinabris: And both will not allow you to buy new hardware down the road and keep the screen (that is going to save a lot of money).

Is that not what you can do with the Companion Hybrid? (My understanding is you can connect it to any PC, just like the 13HD.)

It seems to me that--disregarding Android--the Companion Hybrid provides the same functionality as having a 13HD w/ portable power source, so it's a tradeoff between higher price for one option vs. more bulk and cables for the other. I guess it comes down to whether budget or mobility matters more, and your proposed option may be the right choice for some.

My apologies if I've misunderstood anything.

09 September 2013
Anybody here used a Lenovo Helix? I have a Surface Pro, but the 4GB RAM limits how much you can do before it starts to get laggy.

Surface Pro 2 looks pretty enticing from the details leaked so far: 8GB RAM option, Intel Haswell with Iris GP and a battery backup keyboard option.

I do realize that the digitizers are not at the same level as what is being suggested here and one of the modern tablet PCs, but compromise seems to be fair play as regards price/performance/portability.

09 September 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread