Unity adds 2D toolset

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 08 August 2013   #1
Unity adds 2D toolset

This just got announced at Unite:

Quote: There are a lot of 2D games available that use the Unity game engine, but the fact of the matter is that Unity was made mainly with 3D rendering in mind.

But the company now wants to offer 2D game developers the same kind of support that it has for 3D developers. David Helgason, Unity CEO announced at its Unite conference in Vancouver that Unity’s new 2D Tools are now in beta.

Finally addressing 2D game development is a major move for Unity. 2D-styled games have been booming, particularly within the independent game dev community. Unity already has a lot of developers – 2 million at Unity’s last count. Better support for 2D can only help to expand Unity’s wide reach.

"The problem that we saw is that people who wanted to go 2D would go with other systems, different engines and SDKs," Helgason told us. "That makes us sad on its own, but we also felt like none of them were really offering useful workflows."

Helgason hopes that by offering new 2D-centric tools, Unity developers will have a more streamlined, integrated game development experience. "People had workflows like this, but they were never integrated with Unity," he says.

Currently in beta, this first iteration of the 2D tools will be included with the Unity 4.3 update this fall.

Some of the improvements include a dedicated scene view that includes specialized 2D scene manipulation tools, Helgason says. "You’ll also be able to switch between 2D and 3D. A lot of the good games in 2D are actually mixing 3D – particle systems, things that are parallaxing. That stuff will be easier to do."

Other additions that should make importing and manipulating 2D assets include:

• a new sprite texture importer type
  • automated atlasing
  • dedicated 2D renderer component
  • A new “dope sheet” and visual sprite animation editing functionality for complex animations
  • Box2D physics engine integration
  • Polygon collider generation from sprite textures
"Some of the heavier stuff of the 3D engine, like the 3D physics system, can be cut out when you make builds that don’t make use of them," explains Helgason. "So if you make certain games – 3D games – the engine also slims down."

"It's just about making Unity easier to use, making it slimmer."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/...ew_2D_tools.php

Old 08 August 2013   #2
Boy, this looks like it is going to eat some of my time in the future....

Old 08 August 2013   #3
Amazing news!

I wonder how this will compare to the asset store packages like the 2D Toolkit.

Old 08 August 2013   #4
When they do this I'll upgrade.

Old 08 August 2013   #5
I watched the keynote about this and the way they integrated the whole things looks really top notch.

Their 2D sprite and batching system also (I assume) forms the backbone of the new gui system they talked about as well.

Old 08 August 2013   #6
I believe they hired the NGui developer so he is responsible for the new GUI system.

Old 08 August 2013   #7
Oh yay!! This is relevant to my interests!

Old 08 August 2013   #8
It's really breathtaking watching a company like Unity being able to surprise and impress users nonstop. Honestly, i did'nt expect such a good load of enhancements for 4.3, despite being on beta ( pre 4.3)
Not to forget that they just recently made Unity for mobiles completely free (including W8, WP8 and Blackberry), but added the pro versions of their W8 Store Apps and Windows Phone 8 export PRO modules free for Pro owners too ( remember Android and iOS pro versions still cost )

I wonder quite often how they are able to finance all this goodness they are giving away for free, or for a more than fair price for their pro range of products....

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08 August 2013   #9
Originally Posted by spacefrog: It's really breathtaking watching a company like Unity being able to surprise and impress users nonstop. Honestly, i did'nt expect such a good load of enhancements for 4.3, despite being on beta ( pre 4.3)
Not to forget that they just recently made Unity for mobiles completely free (including W8, WP8 and Blackberry), but added the pro versions of their W8 Store Apps and Windows Phone 8 export PRO modules free for Pro owners too ( remember Android and iOS pro versions still cost )

I wonder quite often how they are able to finance all this goodness they are giving away for free, or for a more than fair price for their pro range of products....

Well, they prioritize on investing in development rather then marketing and have a clear plan to... oh hell, it's just easier to say "it's not owned by Autodesk".

Old 08 August 2013   #10
Originally Posted by DanHibiki: Well, they prioritize on investing in development rather then marketing and have a clear plan to... oh hell, it's just easier to say "it's not owned by Autodesk".

Yes - exactly. Comparing the degree of satisfaction i get when thinking about money i spent for Autodesk software vs. the one i paid to Unity for all licenses i own, i see a complete -180°/180° discrepancy...

PowerPreview: High Quality Nitrous Previews for 3ds Max 2012|2013|2014

[ Free Download (ScriptSpot) ]

Home of The Frogs | Online Portfolio

Old 08 August 2013   #11
Thumbs up

Awesome news, looking forward to this update in the fall!!

Old 08 August 2013   #12
Sprite animations in 3D environment and in Unity -

Old 09 September 2013   #13
I'm looking forward to seeing how this will compare with something like Scirra Construct (at least for pure 2d games), and how they are receiving this news...

Old 09 September 2013   #14
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread