Abandoned, critique and suggestions

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 07 July 2013   #1
Question Abandoned, critique and suggestions

Hello everyone,
I did this as a personal project in Softimage and Vray aiming for a highly photorealistic render. I am trying to achieve a mood of abandonment but as it would be seen in a Mediterranean village. I am not satisfied with what I've done so far and can't grasp what I'm doing wrong.... Is it the lighting? the materials? no good modeling?
I would really appreciate if you could give me some advice...

Last edited by gabrielgoo : 07 July 2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Images not showing, personal site host problem

Old 07 July 2013   #2
First advice: always preview and double check your thread. Most people would not even bother responding, letting you know that your images don't show.

Old 07 July 2013   #3
Red face oups

Thanks a lot tomfisher, you are right, it is my first post so it took a day to show in the forum, and although the images appeared in the preview I didn't realize the problem until today...
Thanks for your time and consider giving some advise on the actual work...

Old 07 July 2013   #4
First up nice work, right up I like it but three things struck me. Two quite quickly the third took some though but its the biggest.

First was the line between the black bitumen and the brownish/white road/foot path. its way to uniform. The second kind follows from this. You foot path is to flat sure it shows some deformation but that is base model underneath (the line between the curb and footpath really shows this)

The third also makes the real problem of the second area show up. It looks like your walls and its really obvious (and its what makes the picture look "wrong") is on the wall section behind the antenna. I don't know how you've textured the wall but it looks like you have either just used plain image wrapped onto your wall surface or your bump mapping the image onto your wall surface which is presenting no real "depth of character" on the wall surface. The texture shadow looks wrong. You also seem to have a soft blur across both renders this gives nothing for the eye to focus on lending even more problems to your image.

On closer inspection I can list a lot more problems (the red walls look like you just laid blurred or low res image across for the mapping (which may be your issues with all the walls). The shutters and shed/outhouse roof need attention. They both look to new, and the roof is also to thick to be a corrugated iron/tin roof.

Hope that helps and gives you some things to think about.

Old 07 July 2013   #5
Thanks for your comments, they are really helpful. The problems that you see is what I was trying to identify and couldn't.
About the wall behind the antenna my normal map isn't big enough to show depth or "character" and since you mention this for most of the walls I am wondering if maybe displacement maps or Zbrush-Decimation mastered models would be the answer...
I will do some tests with bigger maps first though.
The blurriness probably is because of my cameras very small DOF.
The roof was intended to be of a material called asbestos (mixed with cement) which was commonly used in Greece, during the 50s and the 60s, as a cheap and easy solution for roofs. That's why the roof is so thick, the fact that it seems as iron or tin to you is a problem too... :(
Thanks again, I'll do some changes and update the post.

Old 07 July 2013   #6
You've had some good comments there already and i'm only looking on my phone so its a bit hard to critique, but i just wanted to say that i love the atmosphere that you've created. I havent been to Greece for quite a few years now, but i used to visit the Greek islands every year and i got a big hit of nostalgia looking at your images!
Can i ask how you approached the trees?

Old 07 July 2013   #7
Gabriel, I wouldn't worry about the roof's thickness since what you said now makes sense. I assumed (assumption being the mother of all ....) that waved (corrugated) and rust coloured ends it was an iron roof and it was way to thick for that but knowing what it is made from it makes much more sense.

Looking forward to seeing your updates. As I originally said the scene is striking and has potential if you can nail it.

Old 07 July 2013   #8
Smile

nickmarshallvfx, thanks for your comment.
You are always welcome here, hope you know that already.
I made the trees in SpeedTree and used a two sided material in Vray to get some translucency to the leafs, the rest are the usual Color, Spec and Normal maps...

Old 07 July 2013   #9
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread