New guy with an arm... O-o...

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

07 July 2013
Question New guy with an arm... O-o...

Hello everyone. I'm new here, first post and all. Anyway, I'm a programmer by nature, and consider myself to only be decent in the art aspect. As of recently, I've gotten my hands on an oculus rift (3d virtual reality headset with head tracking) and have been starting work on a virtual glove to put your arm in 3d space with the oculus rift.

As such, I need some arms, and since I'd rather not use someone else's stuff to show off my own work, I've started on an arm that will eventually be rigged, and controlled by this glove/armature hardware I'm working on.

So far I'm feeling decent with it, but the hand looks off. One of those offs I don't know how to fix. I think there are two possibilities, either the thumb is somehow off, or the hand is rotated 90 degrees from how it should be on the y axis. I should also mention this is in blender. I've also got a smooth modifier on (450 faces without smoothing, 28997 from the smoothing). I'm fairly new to blender(started semi-active about a month ago), and I've only done basic props before now. So this is my first "character", so don't be too harsh. (I can take constructive criticism just fine though, since I use to draw all the time, so don't be too nice either)

Anyway, here's the arm so far.

I'm fairly certain it's the rotation of the hand in relation to the arm. But I'm not sure, so I figured I'd ask people with much more knowledge then myself.

I'm also not sure this should be here or in the anatomy forum. T_T Anyway, help would be appreciated.

Sorry for rambling (I tend to ramble... a lot.)

07 July 2013
Hi CaliberMengsk,
It is a pretty nice beginning ! And your working on virtual glove seems very interesting !
Do you have a wireframe view of your arm ? It could be useful in order to see where the edges are positionned etc..
I'm not a very good at anatomy but I can tell you some basic things, first the palm of your hand should be the same length as the medium finger, as you can see

it could be a great idea to use some drawings or photos directly in blender in order to always have the good proportions while you are modelling.

Then I think the shape of the hand is too flat, maybe it should be more curved ?
here you can see some references ;

or

By the way, you can also use these images as references for the construction of your wireframe model, mainly if you want to rigg it, you'll need a well-built wireframe model !

I found these images on google images, you can look further by searching "wireframe modelling reference", you'll find some nice references for modelling your arm and your hand !

Hope it helps !

07 July 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread