CGTalk > Main > General Discussion
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 07-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #1
webhead
Expert

The PACIFIC RIM Reviews Warn: 'Better Gear Up For A Monster Hit!'

"The extinction of mankind has loomed again and again over Hollywood blockbusters the past couple of years, though never anywhere near as entertainingly as in "Pacific Rim.''

"Though everything we see is pure, pleasurable comic-book absurdity, Del Toro somehow lends a plausible humanity to the proceedings, one lacking in most of this summer's city-destroying blockbusters."

"A jumble of grating caricatures shouting dopey lines at each other in a film with no real sense of cause and effect. It was like watching a nerd play with his dolls for two hours."

"A better-and-smarter-than-average humans-vs.-monsters spectacular."

"Guillermo del Toro's epic homage to classic-era monster movies is a triumph of consumate design and old school romanticism."

"Pacific Rim is just the kind of big-ticket sci-fi adventure you'd want del Toro to make -- provided you'd want him to make one at all."

"What isn't to like about Pacific Rim? This bludgeoning 3D creature feature is a slick bit of movie mayhem."

"Though it's made by an obviously gifted director and will likely please devotees of the genre, it ultimately feels very short on character and long on noise, noise, noise."

"I'd strongly argue that Pacific Rim is one of the more memorable, distinctive action releases in recent years."

"A movie about that is thrillingly, upliftingly about the best of humanity. And it also has giant mechs punching the s**t out of giant monsters. This is what blockbuster movies should be."

"A stonking summer blockbuster that delivers on an epic scale."

"'Pacific Rim' is outrageously badass."

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/pacific_rim_2013/

Last edited by webhead : 07-12-2013 at 04:34 AM.

Old 07-10-2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Njen
Painter of light...

portfolio
Ryan Grobins
Film Maker
Australia

I enjoyed the film, mind boggling VFX, but my goodness those Australian accents were atrocious!

Old 07-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
mr.bean
Frequenter

Ha!

Welcome to Ameristralia!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
vfx
Lead TD

portfolio
Dominic Alderson
Lead TD / Artist / Film Maker
United Kingdom

..but aren't a good number of the lead actors british? Charlie Hunnam and Idris Elba for example?

Not all shinning reviews though...

TIME:
You get 45 minutes of awesome encased in 90 minutes of yawnsome.

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:39 AM   #5
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

Just picture Kermit the frog running around flailing his arms yelling and that's me right now.

I will write more later as others comment, but for now I will just quote the kid at the end of Incredibles.

THAT WAS TOTALLY WICKED!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Laa-Yosh
Edge looper

Tamas Varga
Lead character modeler
Digic Pictures
Hungary

So you want to be a Jaeger pilot too. Good.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
treedee
Frequenter

Saw it last night in IMAX 3D! What an incredible film! ILM was just showing off with the visuals...The Arnold render just stole the show on believability....I wont spoil it, all I have to say is go watch it and get ready to be blown away!

Old 07-12-2013, 07:25 PM   #8
MAK
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedee
The Arnold render just stole the show on believability!

What? When did ILM switch from RenderMan to Arnold..?

Old 07-12-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
treedee
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK
What? When did ILM switch from RenderMan to Arnold..?

taken from fxguide:

Arnold is at version 4.0.15 and is used by a long list of clients. Fajardo said it is now ILM’s primary renderer – part of that studio’s arsenal on Pacific Rim, Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Lone Ranger.

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/day-2-at-fmx-2013/

Old 07-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #10
MAK
Frequenter

Quote:
taken from fxguide:

Arnold is at version 4.0.15 and is used by a long list of clients. Fajardo said it is now ILM’s primary renderer – part of that studio’s arsenal on Pacific Rim, Star Trek: Into Darkness and The Lone Ranger.

http://www.fxguide.com/quicktakes/day-2-at-fmx-2013/

Hum well, I frankly would wait for a confirmation straight from ILM on this matter. I'm finding it suspicious that ILM (which was/is one f the biggest RenderMan vfx house) would / can switch its pipeline so quickly/easily to Arnold as its primary renderer..

EDIT: Well, after reading several Star Trek making-of features it does seem like ILM has partially switch to Arnold (and uses V-RAy too).

Last edited by MAK : 07-12-2013 at 09:51 PM.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
treedee
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK
Hum well, I frankly would wait for a confirmation straight from ILM on this matter. I'm finding it suspicious that ILM (which was/is one f the biggest RenderMan vfx house) would / can switch its pipeline so quickly/easily to Arnold as its primary renderer..

I remember reading this awhile back something having to do with Katana...anyhow still a beautiful film to watch, I'm sure you will start to get different opinions soon.

Cheers

Old 07-12-2013, 09:56 PM   #12
MAK
Frequenter

Quote:
I remember reading this awhile back something having to do with Katana...anyhow still a beautiful film to watch, I'm sure you will start to get different opinions soon.

Cheers

Your memory didn't fail you my friend. I edited my post above. ILM did indeed switch it's rendering pipeline to Arnold (and some V-Ray too).

Old 07-12-2013, 10:02 PM   #13
darthviper107
Expert

portfolio
Zachary Brackin
3D Artist
Precocity LLC
Dallas, USA

I think they use whatever they think works best. They've used Mental Ray at times also.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 AM   #14
banman7
Frequenter
portfolio
United States Minor Outlying Islands

What another disappointing movie! Can Hollywood just stay away from Asian themed stuff.
I went with 5 different types of people to this movie and all 5 thought it was dumb.
People who like this movie simply don't know any better.

Neon genesis, shelled city regios,Attack on Titan, gurren lagann. That is how you do giant monsters and mechs.

Old 07-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #15
treedee
Frequenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman7
What another disappointing movie! Can Hollywood just stay away from Asian themed stuff.
I went with 5 different types of people to this movie and all 5 thought it was dumb.
People who like this movie simply don't know any better.

Neon genesis, shelled city regios,Attack on Titan, gurren lagann. That is how you do giant monsters and mechs.

...So thats it? your high and mighty opinion cancels everyone else likes and dislikes? People who think like this simply don't know any better...

Thread Closed share thread