bhouston

portfolio
Ben Houston
Exocortex Technologies, Inc.
Ottawa, Canada

Clara.io: Next-gen web-based 3D content creation platform

Full Details:

http://exocortex.com/blog/introducing_claraio

After nearly two years of development, Exocortex is pleased to publicly announce Clara.io, our next-generation 3D content creation tool that runs within the web browser using commodity technologies (JavaScript, HTML5 and of course WebGL.)

Clara.io is built to resemble traditional desktop 3D content creation tools on the surface, thus Clara.io is immediately familiar to most 3D artists. But because Clara.io is built for the web, it is always accessible, there is no configuration, it is cross platform, all of your creation history is stored automatically, you can collaborate in real-time, and you have access to unlimited cloud computing on-demand.

Apply now to join our beta program, we will let you in as soon as we have the capacity to serve you.

"Clara.io is really amazing. I am very confident this is the future of the industry."
-- Douglas Lassance, Layout Artist at Blur Studio.

Under development for nearly two years by the experienced development team at Exocortex, Clara.io is unlike anything you have seen before. We have, with Clara.io, reimagined how 3D content creation can be done for the web era. We have removed the headaches that all of us in the profession know too well, headaches that were understandable back in 1995, but not nearly 20 years later. We have done away with license servers, configuration and deployments, upgrades, limited rendering and storage resources, the need to save often, and the pain associated with remote collaborations.

Clara.io is also not a single purpose application, it isn't just a single renderer or a layout tool, it is a modern integrated 3D content creation tool built around an extensible scripting and plugin model. By adopting Clara.io, you are not giving up the power and freedom that you were used to on the desktop, rather you are just gaining additional functionality and convenience.

Clara.io is the way that 3D content creation should be. Clara.io lets you focus on completing your creative work rather than fighting with distracting technological issues. While some people think that anything web-based must be slow, we have figured out how to make interaction with Clara.io unbelievable fluid and fast.

"From watching the early stages of Clara.io, it is obvious how fast this tool is growing and will continue to grow. Their development decisions have been made with the future in mind."
Allen Pestaluky, Game Developer & Designer at Magmic

We have completed the core of Clara.io, but we are not yet finished. This beta is to show you what we have so far and to work with us as we move towards version 1.0.

Clara.io has already the following features:
  • Hierarchical scene graph.
  • Lights and cameras.
  • Robust support for Polymeshes, including indexed UV, Normal and Color maps.
  • Flexible operators (known as 'modifiers' in 3DS Max.)
  • Keyframe-based animation.
  • Powerful sub-object editing.
  • Renderer and pass management.
  • Extensive materials.
  • Sharing system.
  • Rudimentary bones and skinning.
  • Real-time multi-user collaborative editing.
  • Automatic versioning with history.
  • Plugin model.
  • Script log.
  • FBX, Collada, OBJ and STL file format support.

We have a lot more features still under development (including a public REST API for both automation and integration with other web-tools) and a number of forthcoming announcements regarding partnerships (BTW if you want to partner with us, please drop us a line.) But this is enough to get us started. Apply for our beta to join us on this journey of transforming, for the better, how 3D content creation is done.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
arvinmoses
Veteran
portfolio
Arvin Villapando
Rockwall, USA

Looks really interesting!
Looking forward to this!

Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Ballsy
Congratulations Ben and team.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 07-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
rasamaya
Time scavenger

portfolio
David Russell
Student for Life
3DSolutions/iAnimate.net
Winnipeg, Canada

Looks great. Would love to get more info.
Who are the developers? What are there backgrounds? I am thinking of being able to sell a client on the security of cloud in regards to ND's etc.

Would like to here more about animation tools vs modeling tools.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #5
marcuso
infinitesimal

Marcus Ottosson
London, United Kingdom

While I do believe that the cloud is the future, I don't think that todays web-browsers are general-purpuse enough to get there.

It has shown however that there is much value in having a lightweight and cloud-connected client that works on any platform. So what really should happen, I think, is that a client more suited to applications shows up since I think the browser has always been best at reading and.. well.. browsing. I think what we need is something like the Java Runtime, only built around todays needs rather than those 20 years ago.

Case in point, the little I messed around with Lagoa, it didn't take me long to accidentally click-drag something and have the browser select the elements of the webpage rather than spinning the model. And although I'm sure that specific issue could be fixed, if it hasn't already, its an example of how unsuited the web browser is for fully immerse applications and I think if anything the level of interaction we have with computers are about to blast off into even higher heights, I can't see the browser staying on top of that while at the same time provide the lightweight feel it currently has for browsing informative webpages.

Having said that, the speed at which programs such as Clara can run in a browser is certainly not a problem. Neither is the case with Lagoa. Javascript is fast enough for application logic and WebGL uses your hardware. It's simply on the interaction side of things that today's browsers are lacking.

Last edited by marcuso : 07-10-2013 at 04:14 PM.

Old 07-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #6
bhouston

portfolio
Ben Houston
Exocortex Technologies, Inc.
Ottawa, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasamaya
Looks great. Would love to get more info.
Who are the developers? What are there backgrounds? I am thinking of being able to sell a client on the security of cloud in regards to ND's etc.

Would like to here more about animation tools vs modeling tools.

Hi. I'm the project manager on Clara.io. In the past I started Frantic Films Software and I wrote the initial version of the Deadline render manager and I also co-write the first version of Krakatoa, a point renderer as well as the Flood fluid simulator that was never publicly released. After that I started Exocortex and we have released all of these products, that are widely used in the industry: http://exocortex.com

Best regards
Ben Houston

Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
rasamaya
Time scavenger

portfolio
David Russell
Student for Life
3DSolutions/iAnimate.net
Winnipeg, Canada

Thanks for the details, it really helps actually.
I live in Winnipeg so I know Frantic as they are on the same floor as us lol
I have been on contract with OpusVFX/Animation for 9+months, we also use Deadline!

Myself and 18 others have taken a leap into a coop style production house, this tool could be the answer to how we can work collectively. I will apply for Beta, Thanks Ben!!

Old 07-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #8
CGTalk Moderation
Expert
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread