Aligning Pivot - setting up hinge on detached objects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
Aligning Pivot - setting up hinge on detached objects

Please know that I am searching before posting - but I'm afraid my lack of correct terms and keywords is letting me down. :smileysad:

I've attached a pic of a hatch I've modeled by detaching polys - now how do I do the following:

1- reset the pivot to follow the orientation of the hatch - it appears to still be in world space or the parent sphere. I tried setting to local but no change. I've tried unlinking and centering to the object and there it is - but it's not oriented the same as the hatch. I could try to manually rotate and fudge it into what I "think" is correct but I'm hoping there is a way to ask MAX to do it perfectly. :smileyhappy:

2- set up a hinge effect - where by when rotated it acts as if hinged to the side and swings open/close in a natural way - like a door or hatch would.

Thank you for your help!

Daf
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hinge.jpg (75.8 KB, 8 views)

Old 06 June 2013   #2
**EXTREME HACK WAY**

1. Select Hatch object
2. edit poly > Poly sub object mode > select poly closest to the hinge > look at the face number
3. In the listener type:

n = polyop.getfacenormal $ thenumberofthedesiredface
d=dummy pos:(polyop.getfacecenter $ thenumberofthedesiredface)
d.dir=n

4. Exit sub-object mode and align the objects pivot to the dummy then move it along it's local coords to the desired spot.

(you can then link the hatch to the dummy and use it as the controlling object for the hatch)

Last edited by em3 : 06 June 2013 at 04:47 AM.

Old 06 June 2013   #3
You could also draw a box with Autogrid ticked, so it's aligned to a polygon on your hatch. Collapse the box. Then add your hatch object to the box, then delete the box, and then align the pivot to somewhere else. A dummy snapped to a vert could do it.

I'm surprised there isn't an easier way. Perhaps there is.

Old 06 June 2013   #4
Thanks, guys! I'll give those suggestions a try.

Quote: I'm surprised there isn't an easier way. Perhaps there is.

Me, too!

Old 06 June 2013   #5
Hey Dave - I tried your method first and it worked perfectly - thank you so much.
Big thanks for MisterS, too, for the reply!

Dave - why do you call that "extreme hack" - it appears to be a valid solution?

Thanks again!

Old 06 June 2013   #6
Originally Posted by Daffydd: Hey Dave - I tried your method first and it worked perfectly - thank you so much.
Big thanks for MisterS, too, for the reply!

Dave - why do you call that "extreme hack" - it appears to be a valid solution?

Thanks again!

I call it a hack because it requires so many steps and mouse clicks that I think surely there must be a more elegant way as MisterS said. Until then though, this is what we go with. I'm glad it worked for you!

Old 06 June 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread