biped walking up a stair step

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
biped walking up a stair step

I have recoded myself taking a step from the side view, and from the front, and have identified the key positions like the first foot leaving the floor, first contact on the step, etc. I'm starting with the side view of my biped.

I'm trying to animate a biped climbing a stair. My rig has advanced foot controls like foot roll, toe roll, heel roll, toe bend, as well as pivots and twists. My problem is trying to make a convincing push-off from the floor with the second foot. That is, once I have the first foot placed on the step, then the biped leans forward and pushes-off with the foot (supposedly).

I'm wondering if the pelvis control should pull the second foot, cuz if it does then I get a bit of knee lock as the second leg straightens out. If not the pelvis, then when I key the foot control first, I have all kinds of trouble with timing and keeping the foot planted.

Should this be IK or FK? Is it just a matter of practice, or is it my rig that needs work? There are many tutorials about the walk cycle, but nothing that I've found on taking a step.

Any suggestions or tips?

Thanks!

Old 06 June 2013   #2
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread