Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-21-2013, 05:54 PM   #1
ToastyStoemp
portfolio
Wolf Van Herreweghe
Ghent, Belgium

Graphical preview of our game

Fellow people on earth

I'm currently tangled in the making of our very first video game. I'll not get in details of the entire project. But I finished of a graphical preview to get a good idea of how it will look in the end.
The Unity web player is hosted by dropbox, and can be slow in processing the data.

[Web Player: Mineshaft_Test_0.03](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u..._Test_0.03.html) (right click to go to ugly full screen)

[Download zip: Mineshaft_Test_0.03](https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u...t_Test_0.03.zip)

Feed back would be much appreciated, remember this is made by no help of our programmers and only by me, the art guy, so don't expect any decent scripting.

Thank you for your time

Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #2
Deadguy71
portfolio
USA

Hi, I'm not sure what sort of feedback you're looking for, but I like what you're starting with, and so I'll take a stab at it.

First.. any "real world" modelling you do should use some kind of reference pictures. Not game pics either, but actual existing pictures of the subject you're making. You won't always know the engineering involved in a structure, but having little true details showing up will help. A quick google got me this.. be sure to also look at the "safety" section, and the video at the end of the "features and hazards" page.. good stuff here for understanding what you're modelling, and the pictures are great for ideas. http://www.undergroundexplorers.com/pictures.htm

Beyond that, here's a list of things you could take a look at.

1) the vertical beams holding the roof would typically be made using the same lumber used across the top. Although that's probably not ALWAYS the case, it was enough to distract me a bit. The thin verticals just don't seem right.

2) the seams between areas are noticeable (on the floor).. in at least one of those seams there's an HOM effect, likely caused by an overlap of textures. The others are just unnatural looking seams.

3) the type of mine you're showing (with all the wall boarding) is used when there's a danger of smallish to medium rocks falling into the path. If that's the situation, you'd see small smallish rocks in the wall gaps. You'd also need the same boarding across the top. (the boards would rest across the top of the archways). Personal preference here, but having it open in some places, (and large voids) aids to the creepiness, especially if there's a lantern nearby throwing light through the side wall boards, and onto the distant surface. You COULD go through some areas that don't require the side boarding.. like large rock areas, just so it's not all the same.

4) having some gaps behind the wood boarding (every once in awhile) can make for a pretty creepy atmosphere.. as if there might be something waiting to burst through. These gaps are where the wall has partially collapsed, or the ore being mined was chased beyond the walls.

5) The glossing of the surfaces seems wrong to me.. it's as if everything is wet. If you wanted to make it wet, make it visibly drip, and make the flooring have erosion from the water draining through it and into a sump. Water like that shouldn't be in a mine, they are designed with sumps to protect the mine, so if there IS water seeping in, it should be leaving marks of it's passage.

6) The lights wouldn't hang into the passageway quite so far, and it's more likely that there would be a side hook on the vertical posts, instead of hanging the entire light into the shaft. Otherwise, miners would hit those lights on accident from time to time. If a player hits it.. they'll expect them to swing around a bit, so if you're not getting the full unity version with dynamic lighting effects, just tuck the lights back a bit to stop them from being hit. That will also solve the lighting issues you have on those lamps where even the glass portions are in full shadow on one side.

7) the corner pieces of wood that you have the lanterns hanging from (well that you somehow have passing through the handle of the lanterns), should be on both sides of the arches. You could have some missing, but all of them being on one side is a little odd. For the most part they should also be mounted closer to the corner, and at around 45 degrees. In a mine those are designed to stop the arch from wracking, rather than be support for the ceiling. Wracking - Think of taking a Capital letter H and laying it on it's side, and then stepping on it.. You'd stand on one of the long sides, and the other side would be against the ground. If the weight on it was straight down, and the materials were strong enough, it'd be fine, however, if the weight was pressed down even slightly diagonally, the center bar would start to lean away from the pressure, and that weakness would flatten the H.. It wouldn't even matter how many of the little verticals you had.. if they just had nails holding them, they'd all lean the same way.. that's what wracking is, and in a "loose" mine, that's a considerable danger.

Anyway, like I said, I like what you've got so far, and some of these items are just attempts to offer improvement ideas, if you wanted to go a bit further with it. Good luck!

Old 06-30-2013, 02:19 PM   #3
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread