Digital re-lighting of Greenscreen footage - On-set prep!

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Digital re-lighting of Greenscreen footage - On-set prep!

Hello folks -

I'm doing the prep for a 6 day greenscreen shoot of an interview with a single (mostly seated) subject, and ideally we'd like the ability to do some relighting in post.

There will be multiple cameras and we are planning to shoot on RED (scarlet), at the moment.
In the final film, giant screens on either side of the character will be displaying various things, and changing throughout the piece in reaction to what the character says. Because it is not scripted, we can't do the dynamic lighting on set.

So I'm thinking about adding a subtle colour to the two main side lights, one Blue perhaps, and one Red (or possibly Green).

And then using the Blue and Red channels to be able to pump in a bit of another colour of light on that side of the subject, depending on what the background screens need to show at that moment. This is based on the old-school 3D re-lighting idea of rendering out a light pass with Red, Green, and Blue lights to be able to mix in colour and light based on the separate channels.

The issue in this context is that skin is largely red (and also scatters light). So this makes the Red channel kind of tricky. The shoot is green screen, so adding Green light to the subject also seems like a risky move. The blue light works fairly well in the mockups i've done in 3D. So having blue on one side seems like a good plan. The question is what colour should the other light be? Red or Green? (or something else?)

What do you guys think about this conundrum? Am I just creating a world of pain for myself and the compositing team? What other post re-lighting options have you tried?

We're planning to film in 2 weeks, so any suggestions you have soon would be greatly appreciated.

Greg
VFX Supervisor, 3D Artist.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread