Hiding and Unhiding Objects

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Hiding and Unhiding Objects

I'm coming from a Max background, where I'm used to having a list, similar to Outliner in Maya, but where you have Photoshop-style buttons to hide and unhide objects.

I'm aware of the hotkeys for hiding and isolating things, but that's pretty limiting IMO. I'm also aware that you can control an object's visibility by using Visibility in the Channel Box, or the Visibility checkbox in the Attribute editor, but that's way too much digging around for what should be a really fast process. And using layers basically means I would have to put each object in it's own layer to get the sort of functionality I'm looking for. Selecting things in Outliner and using CTRL+H gets me halfway there, but I haven't found a way to select specific hidden items in Outliner and unhide only those selected items. I may not necessarily want to unhide everything that's hidden. Just wondering if there is something I missed that would help.

EDIT: Nevermind. I discovered that I can use shift+H to unhide items that are selected in the Outliner. All is well

Last edited by DustinBrown : 06 June 2013 at 10:10 PM.

06 June 2013
I like to hide everything BUT an object that I am working on (alt + h, hides all but selected object(s)) , and when I am done, I make everything I hid unhidden (shift + ctrl + h, unhide last hidden).

06 June 2013
I find workflow wise, Layers is the way to go. It is more time initially. But usually you have a set group of items you want to frequently hide and unhide and I put all of those in a layer.

If course for individual items the shorts work well. But I like the visual feedback in layers and from a practical standpoint that seems to work well for me and I often have quite a few layers, easy to set up with a few clicks as I work, even if it is one item per layer. Same workflow for me in XSI as well. The other advantage is once these layers are set up you have quick access to other display modes and options as well that are useful. For example Template and color coding by layers.

06 June 2013
And there's also the attribute spreadsheet. It could probably use a makeover, but its not too bad.

David

06 June 2013
Cool, thanks for the options guys, I appreciate it.

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread