Slow mesh selection in viewport - fast selection in outliner / layers - Maya 2014

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

06 June 2013
Slow mesh selection in viewport - fast selection in outliner / layers - Maya 2014

Greetings everyone,

I am having a really slow selection problem in Maya 2014 Edu for high density meshes (~6 million faces) in the viewport, both in Default Quality Renderer and Viewport 2.0. This only happens when I try selecting them in the viewport, with smooth or wireframe shading; bounding box is fast, no issues there. There are also no issues with low density mesh selection in the viewport, they select quickly, as expected.

This does not happen when using the outliner or the layer panel when selecting the same high density meshes (~6 million faces), only slowdown is when selecting them in the viewport.

Is this expected behavior or is there something wrong?

My system is as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit

Quadro 4000 - 311.15 driver

i7 920 @ stock

24GB DDR3

7200 RPM WD Black

Dual displays @ 1080p

Thanks!

Regards,
Eduardo

06 June 2013
Bumping the thread, hopefully someone has feedback on this.

06 June 2013
same here... think maya has todo a hit detection and thats slow in the viewport... i would report it...

you could try to use a scene assembly node to load in a lowpoly version vor the viewport...

Last edited by oglu : 06 June 2013 at 07:16 AM.

06 June 2013
I have the same problem when polygon count start to go 1M+ ...my computer is not as good as EduardoMC's but even so...
When i try to select something in the viewport, component or mesh, it requires few seconds to react. Right mouse click to "call" marking menu becomes practically useless.

Now, i would understand if it's because my PC is slow and on 1M+ everything is starting to slow down but then why when selecting with shortcuts, directly with buttons, outliner and so on (everything except in viewport) selection is almost instant?!

06 June 2013
yes cause in the outliner there is no hit detection...
in the viewport maya has to check where you are clicking... which face, which object...

maybe the hit detection is still not hardware accelerated..?

Last edited by oglu : 06 June 2013 at 07:16 AM.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by oglu: same here... think maya has todo a hit detection and thats slow in the viewport... i would report it...

you could try to use a scene assembly node to load in a lowpoly version vor the viewport...

Yeah I thought it may have something to do with it calculating where the mouse click "lands" or something like that. I wasn't sure if it had something to do with my individual configuration (drivers, hardware, etc).

Scene assembly sounds like a great idea, I'll try that, thanks!

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread