CGTalk > General Techniques > Modeling
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 06-12-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
adecoy95
portfolio
USA

i need beginners advice

i am really new to 3d modeling in general, (as well as 2d sketching stuff), just new in general, and i have been trying to model a sorta smooth cartoony face in maya for a while now, but i keep getting hung up in the beginning details, i have been using various tutorials and such, mainly the box modeling technique, but i am having a really hard time understanding some of the basic facial feature stuff they are talking about, like adding a line for the nose and moving the vertices properly and such to aline for the cheek around the side.

im rambling a bit it seems, basically, i am worried i do not have the basic fundamentals when it comes to understanding anatomy and such, i have a pretty good idea how to use the modeling tools in maya, but i lack any real artistic focus or talent it seems, and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction to get a good grasp of exactly what i am doing in the concept area.

let me know if this is making any sense or not

Old 06-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Psyk0
Freelance chacha teacher

portfolio
Patrick Boisvert
3D / 2D Artist
Soldak Entertainment
Quebec, Canada

Send a message via MSN to Psyk0
Your problem could be technique related? i know i used to have a hard time using the box modeling approach. I preferred to lay down my loops poly by poly, so maybe give that a try:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorial...ofarc/head1.php

All beginners need to train anatomy knowledge in order to improve. Talent is something that comes with practice, it's not a skill you are born with...or at least a pretty rare occurence. Checkout PDF books by Loomis since they are free and a good starting point.

Old 06-18-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
adecoy95
portfolio
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyk0
Your problem could be technique related? i know i used to have a hard time using the box modeling approach. I preferred to lay down my loops poly by poly, so maybe give that a try:

http://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorial...ofarc/head1.php

All beginners need to train anatomy knowledge in order to improve. Talent is something that comes with practice, it's not a skill you are born with...or at least a pretty rare occurence. Checkout PDF books by Loomis since they are free and a good starting point.

sorry i did not reply earlier, but thanks for the link, i hadent been using orthographic in the past because i was concerned that it would not give me enough freedom in the modeling process, but i am thinking now mabey when i am this early in the process it might not be a bad thing.

i will try the loomis books as well, thanks for the advice

Old 06-18-2013, 08:40 AM   #4
chien
artist in the making

portfolio
Chien Yih Tham
Student
The One Academy, Lifeway College
Subang Jaya, Malaysia

Quote:

agree with psyko, anotomy understanding helps alot, dun worry about if not doing so well, everyone start from somewhere and makes progress over time

Old 06-18-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
ToddD
Mouse Slave

portfolio
Todd Daniele
3D related
Consultant- NYC
New York City, USA

Yes, study anatomy, again and again.

As far as technique, I think I would recommend a slightly different approach than you are using.Rather than worrying about polygon flow and the technicalities while also battling anatomy and the more artistic aspects of creating a head, separate the tasks.
Try using zbrush(or any sculpting app) to get familiar with the form and structure. Once you have created something you are happy with, then consider retopology as a way to layout the flow of your mesh over your existing sculpt. Sculpt/Export/Retopo would be my recommendation.

good luck!
t.
My DigitalTutors

If opportunity doesn't knock, build a door

Old 06-18-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread