CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Old 06-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
ParamountCell
.:laureato di arte:.

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to ParamountCell
Man of Steel: The reviews are...

...as solid as steel?

IGN-Action-packed, briskly-paced and featuring a stellar cast, Man of Steel is the best Superman film since the 1978 original and proves DC can match Marvel in the massive scale department. While it could have used a bit more levity, Man of Steel is nevertheless director Zack Snyder's best film to date.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/06/...of-steel-review

We got this covered-At once vaster in scope than any superhero movie yet produced, and as intimately, crushingly emotional as any other entry in the genre, Man of Steel lands with the precise, explosive weight of a true historical milestone.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/...review/?_r=true

The Verge-In other words, thanks to Man of Steel, Superman has truly earned the right to have fun saving people again, precisely because his two sets of fathers — both on-screen and behind the camera — decided to take him seriously.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/6/10/4...of-steel-review

Last edited by ParamountCell : 06-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.

Old 06-12-2013, 02:07 PM   #2
CB_3D
Lord of the posts

C Ferreira
Architecture, Engine, Germany

67% on Rotten and falling.

Doesn´t bode well so far.

One common critique is that there´s too much non-stop action like in Transformers 3 final act. For me that´s a good thing in a Superman movie, if the lead-up is well done (which it wasn´t in TF3).

Old 06-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #3
ParamountCell
.:laureato di arte:.

portfolio
Daniel S Amedoda
London, United Kingdom

Send a message via MSN to ParamountCell
Quote:
Originally Posted by CB_3D
67% on Rotten and falling.

Doesn´t bode well so far.

One common critique is that there´s too much non-stop action like in Transformers 3 final act. For me that´s a good thing in a Superman movie, if the lead-up is well done (which it wasn´t in TF3).

Wow yea it has dropped, last night it was 72%

I'm also looking forward to some solid action. I enjoyed the Christopher Reeves movies when I was younger. However, moving forward into a new millenia I have wanted to see super powered battles similar to those seen in the JLU cartoons. I didnt hate Bryan singers Superman but at the same time I was really disappointed that in an age that VFX can make anything possible, it was seen fit that Superman should use his powers to stalk his ex girlfriend rather than a true epic battle.

Old 06-12-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Michael5188
another mime

portfolio
Michael Sime
animator
NYC, USA

Ha, I wonder if we ought to start waiting before posting these review threads.

Seems like every single one recently has been posted with all the glowing, paid for, pre-screening reviews. Saying the movie is great. Then the film is released and it's torn apart.

Anyways I was really looking forward to this, still plan on seeing it this weekend. This summer has been quite a let down film wise so far though.

www.MichaelSime.com

Old 06-12-2013, 04:25 PM   #5
hypercube
frontier psychiatrist

portfolio
Daryl Bartley
vfx goon / gfx ho
hypercube
Los Angeles, USA

I have a feeling that this will be a more polarizing movie than say, Avengers. Of course there are still people who didn't like that, too.

But I think Superman is one of the more comic-booky of comic-book characters, and maybe the overly serious mood vs. the outrageous powers won't fly with everyone, so to speak. Avengers had an overall light and fun tone and kept the energy up. This looks much more heavy handed, which may or may not work, or work universally.

I'm still looking forward to this a great deal and will see it with cautious optimism.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #6
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I was kinda worried about this from the beginning. This is making me a bit more worried. Still not sure if I will see it. The third trailer, at least, made me slightly more interested, and hearing that it might be larger in scope than Avengers is a plus. Still, I would really need to know that the flying is not going to look like plastic dolls flying around. That would kill it for me.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:57 PM   #7
webhead
Expert

It appears that most of the criticism of the film is that it's too dark and too serious. Not surprising if that's the case. I was concerned from the get go that they would try to make this film too much like the DARK KNIGHT. I understand the need to get all the characters in the DC universe to play well together, but what worked for one character, isn't necessarily going to work for another. Superman is not the dark and brooding character that Batman/Bruce Wayne is. Also, even though, the new Superman theme is epic, and lofty, it isn't as rousing, uplifting, or as iconic as the John Williams theme.
I really do want this to be a good film, and I hope it's successful. Warners really needs it to do well. So much is riding on this movie, particularly after the disappointment of SUPERMAN RETURNS, than the debacle of the GREEN LANTERN movie. The future of the DC Comics universe in the cinema is depending on the success of this film.

Last edited by webhead : 06-12-2013 at 09:47 PM.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #8
ebbandflow
Veteran
portfolio
USA

Well it must be good considering how cocky the studio is to already announce a sequel to it before it's even out in theaters.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/man...-david-s-goyer/

Old 06-12-2013, 10:48 PM   #9
vfx
Lead TD

portfolio
Dominic Alderson
Lead TD / Artist / Film Maker
United Kingdom

Love what Shannon said recently in an interview. The guy is brutally honest about his day job and I admire him for it.

''Literally the first shot I did, I was supposed to be coming out of a spaceship, which was basically some wooden stairs they'd built and painted neon green. I walked down them in my unitard, acting like I'm General Zod… after the take I walked over to the monitor and Zack was sitting there, and I watched it back and smirked… Zack said, 'What's wrong?', and I said, 'That's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen in my life, Zack replied , 'Yeah, but two years from now, it's gonna be one of the most badass things you've ever seen in your life.' And it is”.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2013...man?INTCMP=SRCH

- My thoughts are my own and should not be confused with anyone else's.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:30 AM   #10
JoelOtron
Lard of the pots
portfolio
Joel Dubin
Creative Director
MadMicrobe
USA

Havent seen it yet, but seems to be a pattern. Man of Steel is at 63% atm.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/watchmen/

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/300/

Some of us here loved those films.

(I wont mention Sucker Punch.)

That said, Im still hopeful.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:40 AM   #11
malcolmvexxed
World's largest midget

portfolio
Stephen Broome Broome
Freelance illustrator and web designer
San Diego, USA

Send a message via Yahoo to malcolmvexxed
Don't care, looks good, although I still think Zach needs different editors for a few of his films (sucker punch was atrocious).

Old 06-13-2013, 06:19 PM   #12
Stankluv
Lord of the posts
Martin S
USA

I think Superman's broad recognition/appeal is working against him in the internet age.

Everyone loves Superman. Your Grandmother surprisingly enjoyed the Christopher Reeves Superman movies. Yet Superman is published every month to about ...

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycom...13/2013-01.html

...I can't even find him ( I am sure he is in Justice League) among numbers that have been shrinking since Superman was created (with the occasional bumps in history)

this Wired review slams it

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013...l-movie-review/

but most of the points are character related and along the lines of "things aren't the way I remember them in other contexts".

Of course, if you are a fan of 300, Watchmen or Dawn of the Dead.ii then this sounds like what you want. I feel that the haters, or at least the Wired review in particular, is in denial about what Superman is.

Superman is a violent power fantasy that starts to resonate with 4-6 year olds during their imaginary friend phase and follows millenium of precedent (Superman and Hercules share a lot of DNA in my opinion). He is the strongest man in the World, if not actually, to that kid component within us all.

And in the age of the internet, a vocal minority that like a 30 year old movie about a character that they haven't supported much in recent decades are unhappy because it isn't what they wanted.

BUT, if you kind of like Zack Snyder movies, the new Batman movies, or recent action movies in general...it still looks pretty good to me.

I don't see this as another John Carter, and I expect that it will make hundreds of millions of dollars. The thing that irks me is that that won't be good enough and within a week or two there will be fairly well informed people speculating that the "numbers are a little soft" to warrant a sequel...a point brought up with regards to the latest Star Trek which is a success but not mega enough, I guess, not to warrant negative speculation.

Can't wait to see it.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #13
teruchan
Skeleton Man

portfolio
Terrence Walker
The Last King
of Scotland
Shanghai, China

I like Zak Snyder movies. That doesn't, however, mean I am going to like his Superman if it isn't done in a way pleasing to me. I have to admit, there is something about the Christopher Reeve (there is no S, like in George Reeves from the old superman series) movies that brought a magic to Superman which has never been captured since. A lot of that came from him as an actor.

I watched all three of them recently (yes, there are only three, and I watched the Richard Donner cut of part II ) and that magic is still there. That magic didn't materialize in Superman Returns, though I still think I will like that better than this new version.
You don't need millions of dollars or major studio backing!!

Old 06-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #14
kelgy
Stranger in Town

portfolio
Kel G
Professionally unemployed
Surrey, Canada

Superman 78 was the first movie I remember seeing in a theater (had usually gone to drive-ins).
It left quite an impression-especially the Krypton and Smallville sequences.

Unlike Star Wars which at times does have a B budget feeling to it Superman was A budget all the way. I think it could have been a disaster if a single ingredient had been different--especially if they had gone with a known actor for the part (hard to imagine Robert Redford or Nick Nolte in there).

I was just reading about the Batman script written in the early 80s by the Superman writer.

Old 06-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #15
J-Bond
Frequenter
portfolio
Igor
Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teruchan
Still not sure if I will see it.

First time see that people have a mental anguish to decide "watch" or "not watch".
It's kill your's budget or apply a irreparable mental damage to your's brain?
Ignore movie if you don't like it.

Thread Closed share thread