OCIO workflow

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 06 June 2013   #1
OCIO workflow

Hi all!
I'm trying to understand new OCIO workflow, that provides nuke. I understand the general idea of OCIO, why it developted but i don't understand the way it realised in nuke.
We have 5, if i'm not mistaken, OCIO-nodes that can do log2lin(lin2log), apply LUTs, read LUTs, change colorspaces (we could do it by standard "colorspace" node, why we also need to use special OCIO-node? btw), etc.
So the question is: what is the OCIO-workflow in nuke? Where should i set up luts change colorspaces, do grading, compositing, etc. It is also interesting to know how to follow ACES-workflow with OCIO?

Old 10 October 2013   #2
Unfortunately I don't have the answer but I'd like to chime in because I've been asking myself the same thing.

If you found an answer in the meantime (or somebody else knows), please share your knowledge here.

Old 10 October 2013   #3
Well... What I've discovered since that time. Not too much. As I've understood OCIO has been developed by Sony Pictures Imageworks for their needs, to help make their workflow more robust. In addition OCIO libriary is used in Arnold render for color managment, as I've heard. So, if you able to you can us OCIO for making some extensions for arnold render.
All experienced people from different studios say me the same: "What the hell OCIO. Why we need to use it? It's some Sony Pictures tricks for their workflow." The only time I've seen "using" of OCIO node when client wanted to see dailies with film-look. Obviously, nobody wanted to do grading each time before posting dailies, so we just used one of cine luts from OCIO.
It seems, like nobody dig into OCIO, because nuke already has all the functionality of the OCIO-nodes by default.
What about ACES. I've understood that it's bad idea to do grading in nuke, so I do grading in DaVinci Resolve. Here is easy understandable ACES-workflow.

Old 10 October 2013   #4
I think OCIO is meant to transfer exact color and
grade between Nuke and other apps. I cannot understand
where it fits in the compositing workflow yet.

Old 10 October 2013   #5
the main idea behind OCIO is that you can have the same colorworkflow (lut, color transforms, ...) in all apps in your pipeline.

therefor you have the OCIO nodes in nuke, so you can use the same colortransform math as in maya, photoshop, etc.

Old 11 November 2013   #6
OCIO lets you define all your pipelines color needs once and reuse it with every application. You can automate things like per shot luts, ccc,cdl,luts from DI used as a viewer process, custom log2lin, etc...

Currently the apps supported are listed in the link below:
http://opencolorio.org/CompatibleSo...patiblesoftware

In Nuke you would first setup your config.ocio file and then in the project settings > ocio, Viewer Process LUT's > OCIO Luts. Then set the OCIO Config to the config file you want to use. There are currently 4 example files, Nuke-default (replicates nukes current luts), sony-vfx, sony-anim and aces. Most companies will start with one of the native configs and modify them to fit. To properly use OCIO, you want to set Nuke's read nodes to "raw data" and then just use OCIOColorSpace to linearize your files based on the luts you have in your config file.

Eventually we will get this built into the read node and replace Nuke's built in color management with OCIO. It is a lot of work to do under the hood so we haven't had a chance to get to in yet. We already have it built as the default color managment for Hiero and Katana though.

Old 11 November 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread