Frequenter

portfolio
Shaun A
Creative Director
Second Sense
Karachi, Pakistan

Flickering Lights

Greetings All

Im currently working on an Ident for our graduation exhibition here in Melbourne. Now the concept ive pitched (and has been accepted) is these elongated boxes with little lights at each side (spotlights) Now the idea is as the camera pans around these names line up assemble and disassemble to form each of the 22 student names. So playing a bit with camera and the lights and form here.

The problem:
The lights are flickering and I don't know whats causing it to flicker, im suspecting its the mo-graph cloner that's linked to the problem.

This is the 30 second WIP render where you see the flickering in the background and on the names in a dissembled state. (I want these little lights to stay on as its part of my theme of form)

(Lights during dissembled state are at 250%)
(lights during the assembled state are at 500%)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9bwuhfwo5...cept%20V0.1.mov

Excuse the audiojungle audio audio / watermark this is a test video

here are some of the models out of scene

Any help on this will be greatly appreciated
Thank you in advance

Shaun

Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
vid2k2
Expert

Have you considered selecting the end polys of the rods
and a applying a luminous texture instead of spots ?

iMac 3.06 ghz Intel Core 2 Duo / 16 GB / OS 10.9.5 / C4D StudioR12 / CS6

R.I.P. 11.02.11 ... my dear friend .

Old 05-23-2013, 10:51 PM   #3
Donovan Keith
PRO

Donovan Keith
Animator / Teacher / TD
Los Angeles, USA

Without seeing your scene file I can't be sure, but it looks like an anti-aliasing issue to me. From what I can tell the lights (and/or what they're lighting) are so small that they are sometimes smaller than a pixel, which means Cinema sometimes misses them when rendering a frame.

Try:
Render Settings > Anti-Aliasing > Geometry -> Best
If that doesn't fix it, up your min/max values to something like Min: 4x4 and Max: 8x8.

That said, a luminous polygon texture and the glow filter in After Effects might be your best bet for this style (you'll still need to render with high AA though).

Old 05-24-2013, 02:14 AM   #4
ShaunAnsari
Frequenter

portfolio
Shaun A
Creative Director
Second Sense
Karachi, Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid2k2
Have you considered selecting the end polys of the rods
and a applying a luminous texture instead of spots ?

Well the deal that I run into is with a luminous texture I have to crank up the texture uber high for it to reach my target look so that failed it was really the first line of action for me

Old 05-24-2013, 05:13 AM   #5
Per-Anders
helper bunny

CGTalk Forum Leader
portfolio
Per-Anders Edwards
Developer
The Third Party
USA

Do you mean set the resolution of yoru texture really high? I'm not really seeing why/how. Could you post an image showing how you want it to look (fake it in photoshop if you need to), because for those end points I'd expect you to simply drop on either a gradient or just a flat color.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:46 AM   #6
ShaunAnsari
Frequenter

portfolio
Shaun A
Creative Director
Second Sense
Karachi, Pakistan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Per-Anders
Do you mean set the resolution of yoru texture really high? I'm not really seeing why/how. Could you post an image showing how you want it to look (fake it in photoshop if you need to), because for those end points I'd expect you to simply drop on either a gradient or just a flat color.

Ok ill just get onto that ^^

Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 AM   #7
imashination
Expert

portfolio
Matthew ONeill
3D Fluff
United Kingdom

Not a solution to your problem, but if youd like to even out your light distribution so they dont clump up on the dotted I's, set the cloner distribution to step.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #8
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

it is more a logical, than an anti aliasing problem. raising the AA min step size will only
help you to a certain point and it will also also do actually do the opposite of what you
might be expecting, it will make the visible pixels darker (as with increasing step size
more and more black pixels will blend with one white pixel).

the core of your problem ist that you expect your lights to work like pixels, or in other
words be view distance and projection independent. but c4d does not work that way,
it is vector based and an objects representation in a perspective projection will scale
with its distance to the camera. textures won't fix that problem either, or specifically
will be even more inaccurate, as the add their resolution on top of the problem.

a pretty simple solution could be:

1. only clone nulls in your cloner
2. create a xpresso setup
3. for each frame:
3.2 for each clone in the cloner create a particle with pborn and the lifetime of one frame
2.3 get the distance from the particle position to the render camera
2.4 range map that value into the particles size

make sure you use a spherical shape as the particle shape like a parametric sphere
(uncheck perfect) or a spherical vol light. irregular shapes like a cone in your picture
do not help.

the solution is not perfect and you might need different setups for different shots/
camera angles, as the min max parameter of the range map node will be the size of
your object, which again is heavily view dependent when you expect it to be in the
projection static.

you could of course do more fancy things in python.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
littledevil
Meh

portfolio
Ferdinand
Germany

too lazy to explain in in detail, same approach but plain mograph. use a plain effector
centered to the cameras local space with a fall of covering the the 'whole' scene. you
can then animate/set the size multiplier so that the objects fit your projection. make
sure to use a very high AA max step size and a very low AA threshold.

i overdid it a bit in my example, the 'pixels' in the background are actually bigger than
the one in the foreground.

http://i.imgur.com/Pcza8iH.gif

Old 05-24-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread