2003 Oscar FX contenders announced

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

12 December 2003
2003 Oscar FX contenders announced

AMPAS announcement on CGNetworks.com:
>> VFX Oscar Nominees <<

Nominees:
* "The Hulk"
* "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
* "Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World"
* "Peter Pan"
* "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl"
* "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines"
* "X2"

Quote from Cinescape:
"The candidates for the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects of 2003 have been announced and seven films are in contention to win Oscar gold. They are 20th Century Fox's MASTER AND COMMANDER: THE FAR SIDE OF THE WORLD and X2: X-MEN UNITED, Buena Vista's PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL, New Line Cinema's THE LORD OF THE RINGS: RETURN OF THE KING, Universal Pictures' THE HULK and PETER PAN, and Warner Bros.' TERMINATOR 3: RISE OF THE MACHINES.

What happens next is that the studios will assemble a 15-minute reel showing the effects highlights from the picture nominated, which will be shown to a nominating committee on January 21. The top three of the seven films selected by the panel will then go on to be the final candidates for the Oscar which will be presented on February 29 next year. "

>>link<<
-R
This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government

12 December 2003
RETURN OF THE KING WILL WIN! FOR SURE!

12 December 2003
Well, "The Return of the King" is a given.

I was kinda surprised "X2: X-Men United" was there instead of "The Matrix Revolutions." To me, it wasn't as memorable when considering its fx. (Though "The Matrix Revolutions" was less memorable as a movie.)

My predictions are:
  1. "Hulk"
  2. "Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World"
  3. "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"

The only project I'm really worried about is "Hulk." I just hope it gets nominated -- the most spectacular achievement in CG animation since Gollum and Dobby.

12 December 2003
Snubbed

So the Matrix was snubbed?

-Victor

12 December 2003
Someone please explain to me how the Hulk made it and Matrix -Revolutions did not! Mind you I personally felt the VFX in the Hulk were just about the worst of the year so you'll have a hard time convincing me. Not that it matters ROTK should easily take it. Master and Commander had great effects but ROTK is a masterpiece of VFX.

12 December 2003
Is it me or the finalists were announced earlier this year.

The Matrix was not precisely snuffed (at least not in the usual sense of these types of awards). The VFX Branch of the Academy is the one that selects the 7 finalists and from there we have the bakeoff. Could be it wasn't submitted on time (like what happened on one of Pixar's short, For the Birds if I remember right) or the 2 sequels could have split a vote.

And I disagree, Hulk had some of the best VFX of the year.

12 December 2003
I think WB realized that the Matrix movies didn't have a chance at winning and decided not to submit them. ;p Honesly I think Terminator 3 was more impressive than either Matrix movie so good for WB.

I'm hoping for the Hulk mostly. I saw all the rest save Peter Pan, and while they are all excellent, there's a few things about that Hulk that really impressed me.

Last edited by MCronin : 12 December 2003 at 12:38 AM.

12 December 2003
OUCH!!!

thanks, that was good Leigh.

12 December 2003
I hope ROTK takes the third in a row to complete the trilogy of FX awards for WETA. The other films are really good too but my heart lies with ROTK.

And I agree with the dissension on The Hulk being bad FX... the effects were phenomenal... it's just a green person doesn't look real. It's that old, don't make it real, make it believable... ILM unfortunately made the Hulk real instead of believable.

I also can't believe neither of the Matrix movies were nominated. That's kind of a kick in the face to ESC. The films did suck, but that doesn't mean the effects shouldn't have at least been recognized (tho I don't think should have won anyhow).

12 December 2003
My greetings to you all cg Talk members!

I cant believe u guys say that about the Matrix movies!!!!
I understand that a large amount of people around the world did not understand the first Matrix, and when they thought they understood the 1st movie then the sequel was released with a much more mindblowing story and a innovative cinematographic language. Simply put: the matrix movies aint for simple minded people, and i believe that a good reason that they didnt go into competition in the academy awards is that they raised the bar to high and they are way above other conventional special effects that always focus into quantity, and not in quality.
For example, Weta says : "Ok, lets make outstanding VFX by making a realistic CG character (gollum) and a massive battle of elfes and orks or wathever that looks like a crowdy war, because quantity equals quality for us".
In the other hand the Wachowsky brothers, John Gaeta and the ESC team put all their effort to produce an innovate class of cinematography, a high quality cinema, that achieves very elegant VFXs and a high amount of unpredictable surprises. They found the way to do an other kind of cinema, and that definetly leaves other conventional movies out of competition. Im not saying that the LOTR movies nor Hulk or other movies in this genre are bad, im just saying that they dont innovate in anything, they all look the same, and the only thing they do to try to impress the audience is to enlarge the "quantity" of the conventional VFX that we can see in any generic high-budget hollywood movie.

This my opinion, and i just wanted to share it with you guys.

Excuse my bad english, but im sure u understood what I was talking about.

P.D.

IMO, the Matrix movies places 1st in my favorite movie list, and LOTR places second (yes, i really like the LOTR movies, but Matrix is better for several reasons :P)

Last edited by RenderFX : 12 December 2003 at 04:19 AM.

12 December 2003
How can the Matrix not be there?...and master and commander is?.......that shows the inacuracy of the oscars....dumb asses...that makes me angry...I'm not asking for an Oscar for the Matrix as a Movie ...but it has revolutionized the industry in a way that many nominees in that list have been inspired.....just plain dumb...they lose credibility that way....

12 December 2003
Well, say what you will about the Matrix films in terms of acting, storytelling,etc. you have to acknowledge the VFX in these films. For some committee to say that Revolutions wasn't one of the top 7 VFX films of the year is not just ridiculous, it's suspicious.

Who makes these decisions? Something is CLEARLY amiss with the selection process when a film like Revolutions isn't even considered in the bakeoff. If you love CG and VFX then you should be very concerned about this...something is not right.

12 December 2003
i think Hulk has no entitlement to be in the List!
yhe Matrix has to take this Place!!

regards
bjoern

12 December 2003
Quote: How can the Matrix not be there?

Another poster in the other therad said it better. It could have been reason like WB not submitting it or some other stuff outside ESC control.

Quote: im just saying that they dont innovate in anything, they all look the same,

Excuse but that's just plain dumb or ignorant. Maybe checking something like Cinefex or CGW will show the contrary.

Quote: Who makes these decisions?

The VFX Branch, headed by Richard Edlund. It's composied of about 35 pros.

12 December 2003
Quote: Originally posted by RenderFX
I understand that a large amount of people around the world did not understand the first Matrix, and when they thought they understood the 1st movie then the sequel was released with a much more mindblowing story and a innovative cinematographic language. Simply put: the matrix movies aint for simple minded people, and i believe that a good reason that they didnt go into competition in the academy awards is that they raised the bar to high and they are way above other conventional special effects that always focus into quantity, and not in quality.

So basically you are saying that anyone that did not like the Matrix doesn't like it because they don't understand it, and they don't understand it because they are simple?

Sorry to argue but people are entitled to their opinions. People have many reasons for disliking films, and mostly it really has nothing to do with intelligence. It comes down to personal taste
(Okay, yes personal taste can be dictated somewhat by a persons intelligence, but even a stupid brain can interpret something which means that a "simpleton" could understand any plot in their own way. My point being that most plots essentially be understood/interpreted in some way by most people.)

Besides this I could argue all day about the apparent "authenticity" and "originality" of the Matrix's essential storyline, but I won't (this is not the time or place), hehe
Needless to say it's really essentially an extremely simple storyline (when you strip away all the fluff - the same goes for almost all stories really), so it's certainly not been left out because it's "outclassed" anything else.

I also have to disagree about the Matrix "raising the bar too high". It's effects are totally on par with those being done by a number of other companies.
So yeah, in light of that I certainly think it's odd that they were excluded - the work done on the Matrix is as deserving as some of the other nominated films.

That said, there is probably an explanation for this, as malducin has already mentioned.

On a side note, has anyone here seen Peter Pan? It hasn't opened here yet... I have to admit that the film didn't seem very appealing to me, but from what I could see of the VFX in the trailer they looked rather nice...

Thread Closed share thread