WIP Card Challenge - Ace of Diamonds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
WIP Card Challenge - Ace of Diamonds

Hey guys,

I thought this would be a fun challenge, so I decided to have go. I picked the ace of diamonds as my card, and I spent a few hours making sketches in PS. A vast majority where rubbish, and I'm still not really liking my current composition. The whole thing was inspired by a Moroccan girl they call Ruby the Heart-stealer. Her real name is Karima El Mahroug, and shes most famous for her endeavors with then Italian PM Silvio Berlusconi.

Well here is what I came up with after a couple of hours. I liked the symmetrical composition, and the long line down the middle with the two V shaped for the chain and the dress. I'm going for a slightly illustrated look, but still somewhat realistic. I'm trying to place the jewel in the same place that It would be on a regular card design. Any thoughts/comments/crits on this would be greatly appreciated!

Click for fullsize

Thanks for having a look,
AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #2
good luck with modelling

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thanks Simy! The model is pretty simple, so It shouldn't be too bad.

Here is an update after a few more hours of work. I'm thinking I might ditch the single large stone, and go for more of an arrangement with a single red stone in the middle. In order to get the refraction to look right, I had to model it like a real diamond would be cut. The problem is that these things need to be almost as deep as they are wide in order to shine, and I now see why they would never use such a large stone on a necklace. The cut I went for was called an asscher diamond.
http://www.macklowegallery.com/imag...scher%20cut.jpg

I might try to copy an arrangement like this. Ill just have a single shape in the middle, and the center stone will be red. I think it would help get the red stone as close to the center of the composition as possible, as it would hang off the chain a bit.
http://whitewolfjeweller.files.word...y-2-28ilmu8.jpg

I did some refining on the model and lighting, and tried to get the diamond/ruby material as shinny as possible. As always, and thoughts/comments/crits are most welcome.

Thanks,
AJ

Old 05 May 2013   #4
diamond details good but the lighting & shadow in the diamond not good tell me abut render u use any program for the render ???

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread