Rogue

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
Rogue

Hi there

I would like some advice on this one that I started two nights ago, been struggling with how to take it further. Any ideas or advice for me to try? I'm struggling mainly with the lighting, the torso and the legs.

Could you guys please point out some things and maybe some tips and advice on what I could try out next?

Thanks in advance!
Attached Images
File Type: png rogueWIP4.png (93.9 KB, 12 views)

05 May 2013
Her forearms seem way too long. You need to learn some basic anatomy/figure, which will teach you the basic standard proportions of human beings (such as how long the forearms should be in relation to other body parts). For example, when the elbow is bent and the forearm is at 90 degrees to the upper arm, the length of the forearm when measured from the inside should be about the length of an extended hand. This is basic anatomy knowledge, and if you don't know it, you'll continue to make mistakes.

Are you using any references? If you aren't, then you really should. The only people who can do good work without having to consult references are highly advanced artists with extensive experience, and even they often have to consult references for certain things that are too complex to be memorized.

If you are using references, then it looks like you are deviating from it in ways that are creating mistakes that aren't in the reference. Post your references if you are using any.

If you aren't using references, you should go and shoot some. Everybody has cameras these days, including the ones in cellphones. Use yourself (mirror, tripod) or use family/friends, set up household lamps so you can light the reference exactly how you want it to look in your painting.

If you are "Frankensteining," then stop right away and shoot your own references instead. To learn more about the dangers of cherry-picking from various references that aren't your own, read this: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...955#post7242955

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread