WIP-Card Challenge- Jack of Diamonds

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
WIP-Card Challenge- Jack of Diamonds

Hey guys

Just joined CG Society, I saw the card challenge on facebook, seems like a good way to keep my crteativity in check since I just finished my 1st year at uni and I'm looking for projects to keep me busy. I'm going for the Jack of Diamonds in 2D. I tried to post this earlier, but can't seem to find my original post :/ If anyone already has chosen this card then I'll switch to another

Old 05 May 2013   #2
Came looking for an update or an image. Can we expect that soon?

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Hi Kirt,

Sorry for the lack of work being posted. I've had a few unexpected family matters to deal with since my return from university, I'll upload what I have so far by the end of the day. Admittedly it isn't anything fantastic though :/

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Pre Vis Story board

So my initial thoughts for the jack of diamonds card was maybe a pirate/pimp style character, something that would give scope to explore the connotations arise with the name jack whilst also allowing for some over indulgence with ornate diamond encrusted accessories. I then continued with this train of thought and felt a nice juxtaposition would arise if the character Jack was actually female, so a whole female pimp/pirate theme with plenty of bling and booty was in my minds eye. Below is a brief mood board of a few images that I sourced to help me get a better feel for my vision:
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Pre Vis Sketches

Following on from the pre vis research I began work on some rough poses and thumbnails, I haven't progressed much further beyond this stage atm. I still prefer to get as much as my concept developed on paper before committing to any digital work, I find I usually end up with far better results this way. In the first two sketches you'll see that I was trying to acquire a pose that would work well for the aspect ratio of the template provided. I felt that the image may look a little sparse so to make it more interesting I thought the addition of two cohorts would give the image a slightly controversial edge and add a little impact to the illustration. I'm still struggling to get the pose of the additional companion on the left and given the time remaining I may just settle for only one additional character. I feel somewhere between the 4th and 5th thumbnail is the base of the image that best represents what I'm hoping to achieve. I will give the image one more pass to try and refine the outline further and elaborate on some finer details, once I'm sure it's going to come together as intended then I'll begin the photoshop work.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05 May 2013   #6
pre vis sketch additional

Actually managed to knock together another quick sketch, granted there's still some tweaks to proportion and the poses required and plenty of finite details that need to be locked down, but I think this is starting to shape up a little better. I might just try one more to get it down a little better later this evening before committing to digital

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread