HMC #38 - Medusa

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
HMC #38 - Medusa

For you Mr. Harryhausen.
A tribute to the master.

When I was a kid my Dad had a Beta Max with 3 tapes that we watched over and over again until I had every line memorized, Star Wars, Caddy Shack and of course Clash of the Titans. Ray's Medusa scared me so bad when I was a kid. What I love more than anything was not just that he created these creatures but that he took the time to inject real life into them instead of just moving them around.

I'm going to create an accurate film version of Medusa and then hopefully rig it and create a little stop motion myself. Well that's the plan anyway. I have some other things planned if time permits.

My version will be somewhere between the film puppet,

and this excellent 1/6 scale paint job of the Geometrics statue from Chris Wauchop.

As usual I have some ulterior motives for this challenge. I'm going to use what I learn on this project on a much bigger production coming up.
Good luck everyone.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 05 May 2013 at 02:23 AM.

05 May 2013
Cool. Looks like everyone will be doing Medusa.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Looking forward to the battle of the Medusas! Give it your best, Wyatt.

05 May 2013
Almost done with the basemesh. I need to fatten her up a bit and add her hair.

I took some really unofficial measurements of the puppet and the tail is about 3 times the length of the body.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

05 May 2013
Yup, I can see her in the base mesh already. Don't forget she's still got to have her snakes so its going to come together in due time.

Great start!

05 May 2013
Woww!

Great start!

Congratulations

05 May 2013
Thank you fellas.
A bit more adjusting to the base. This is just about done. Hopping back and forth with GoZ is a blast. I want to keep the poly count of her hair down so I may make them subtools. Not sure yet.

wyattharris.com Dig it!

05 May 2013
I think doing the snakes (straight/flat) in LW, attatching in zbrush, painting thier scales and exporting disp, then if you want it to be animatable, retopo and reprojecting the sculpt/textures in zbrush. Its what I am going to have to do with mine.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Looking good.

05 May 2013
Man, this weekend was way busier than I thought it was going to be. Finally had a chance to start working with Genoma, Lightwave's new rigging tool in v11.5. After going through the tutorials and experimenting a bit I finally decided to have a go with Medusa.

This first draft turned out way better than I could've hoped. If you take away all of the trial and error, reading and messing about I'd say this rig took about an hour to make and pose like this. The rattle works perfectly BTW.

Right away I see the problems with the rig. The root is too low, the fingers are bending on the wrong axis and there are no weight maps at this point. The beauty of Genoma is I have no problem going in and making changes as it is so easy to work with. Normally my patience would be gone at this point and I'd just say "Screw it!", throw up my hands and just pose in ZBrush. Not to mention this rig is way more advanced than anything I'd make for a personal project.

Alright, test successful. Now that I know it's going to work I can get serious about the model. Latest bit of sculpting in ZB.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

05 May 2013
Its looking like her. Rigging is good. Think her upper arm that is holding the Bow is a bit long, the shoulder looks like its been moved outwards instead of rotated, but I could be wrong.
Good going.

MY HMC

05 May 2013
Still looking good so far...

05 May 2013
Thx Boone!
Originally Posted by Airflow: Its looking like her. Rigging is good. Think her upper arm that is holding the Bow is a bit long, the shoulder looks like its been moved outwards instead of rotated, but I could be wrong.
Good going.
Yep, without any weight maps the arm bones have too much influence over other parts but as a first draft it was a good proof of concept. Now I feel comfortable moving forward with sculpting in a default pose leaving the animation for later.

Speaking of which, last nights progress.
First, I watched Clash of the Titans this weekend with my son, his first time. It was very funny fielding all of his questions about the effects. Even though he thought they looked 'weird' he really liked the movie and he jumped a few times during the Medusa scene too. So, while going through the special features I found this image of Medusa minus hair and snakes etc. I'm using this for reference now.

I started sculpting in some of the harder rows of scales in her face. You'll also notice the first large scale on her tail. I like the result so I'll model the rest of them tonight. I exaggerated a few of her features to make her appear more monstrous. Next subd level I should be able to add a lot more scale features.

After rigging her I realized that her tail was still a bit too short so I lengthened it in ZB and fattened it up overall. Rattlesnakes tend to have very fat tails right up to the rattle where it sharply tapers off. It was more eel like before.
wyattharris.com Dig it!

Last edited by WyattHarris : 05 May 2013 at 09:08 PM.

05 May 2013
I'll just keep going with the pom-poms and cheering you on. Really looking good, Wyatt.

05 May 2013
Hi Mr. WyattHarris .

Wow man.
Great model see here.
keep updated.

Last edited by antonioperes : 05 May 2013 at 01:33 PM.

Thread Closed share thread