the avery - wip

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
the avery - wip

Hi all
welcome any crits on this one - getting close to finished, just a few areas that need polish.
excuse the blurry low res image.....can always post a better one to an external site if anyones interested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the gate 24_s.jpg (76.2 KB, 17 views)

05 May 2013
No crits, beautiful work! Do you have images showing the progression of the piece? I'd love to understand your process.

Edit: I looked back at some of your work from 2007. You've come a long way as an artist. Pretty inspiring!

Last edited by ZombieMariachis : 05 May 2013 at 02:20 PM.

05 May 2013
maybe try throwing some blur on the city and trees that are in the back ground.

RainOnPluto my deviant art site.

05 May 2013
thanks for that guys.
zombie....thanks for the kind words.....yep its taken quite a while to progress to a point where not everything i paint sucks. i remember the sheer frustration of not being able to get on the screen what i had in my mind :-) guess everyone goes through that.
some killer stuff on your site! - characters arent my strongest suit, so im a little jealous.

process for this one was quite experimental, started with a greyscale mockup, took a while to decide on this composition, but knew from start that i wanted someone walking up to a large statue or gate.
needed something visual to pull the eye down from the top, and had the idea for birds being released.
attachment shows an early composition study....ended up changing the top of central building and the foreground lighting, also ended up simplifying the mid ground as i originally imagined a harem type setting, but was looking too cluttered.
small amount of matte painting, mainly in the pillars, used a texture for the original pillar then drew a design out of that.
other big change from here was the mid ground wall that is light value, had to darken as it looked nice but didnt make sense with the lighting setup.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg the gate 09.jpg (82.9 KB, 5 views)

05 May 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread