LAGOA First Human Visualization on the cloud

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

05 May 2013
LAGOA First Human Visualization in the cloud

With the introduction of Hair Rendering in Lagoa, we are excited to bring the first physically accurate full human rendering to the browser!

With only one month from launch we have added support for hair fibers + volumetric skin material to enable 3D artists to setup a full human like bellow. No need to have expensive machines, software installation or plugin requirements. And we can bring this to artists fast because there are no installations or deployment cost involved on upgrading.

The model below was exported from 3dsmax in ASE format we will be adding more measured hair colours soon. in Lagoa you can also take advantage of realtime collaboration features even when rendering complex stuff like hair.

read the details of this release

Model by Lee Perry-Smith:

click to see it large

Last edited by tc : 05 May 2013 at 04:29 AM.

05 May 2013
Will there ever be a point where Lagoa will exist as just a pure cloud rendering solution that users can utilize from within their pipeline tool of choice? (Maya, Max, C4D, XSI, modo etc.)

05 May 2013
I guess I was looking at the hair and realizing that's the most natural looking hair rendering I've seen outside of proprietary solutions (I've seen a lot) and maybe some Vray examples, but because it's really good it's not a realistic visualization solution since the hair probably isn't going to render that way from my package.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: I guess I was looking at the hair and realizing that's the most natural looking hair rendering I've seen outside of proprietary solutions (I've seen a lot) and maybe some Vray examples, but because it's really good it's not a realistic visualization solution since the hair probably isn't going to render that way from my package.

Thanks.

That hair style was made in 3Dsmax using Hairfarm, exported as .ASE splines, then uploaded to LAGOA, and rendered this is the default hair shader.

-Thiago

05 May 2013
This is an awesome concept! Don't think iOS supports webgl yet though. I've signed up for the free account and will give that a spin from the desktop.

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by tc: Thanks.

That hair style was made in 3Dsmax using Hairfarm, exported as .ASE splines, then uploaded to LAGOA, and rendered this is the default hair shader.

-Thiago

Yes, I know the hair had to be generated somewhere outside of Lagoa. That wasn't really my question...it was more an issue of disparity between rendering engines and potentially not being able to close that gap between Lagoa and whatever the other main pipeline tool renderer is at rendertime.

I can definitely get a better skin render with another renderer without a crazy performance hit, but the hair is a different matter. I can already see people getting in trouble by getting an approval on something like this, having some client fall in love with the hair and then rendering it using x-renderer, in a full scene and not realistically be able to duplicate the hair or duplicate it within the time allotted.

One other question, how long did it take the Lagoa system to render that head with the hair and on how many processing units? (GPU/CPU)

05 May 2013
I guess what you really want is to be able to render a hair pass out of Lagoa for comp elsewhere...

05 May 2013
Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: Yes, I know the hair had to be generated somewhere outside of Lagoa. That wasn't really my question...it was more an issue of disparity between rendering engines and potentially not being able to close that gap between Lagoa and whatever the other main pipeline tool renderer is at rendertime.

You are right, and we can't and won't make our rendering look "worst" just to match some other renderer.
What we will do is include the features necessary so one could do more than only visualize but full blown finished animation there.

Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: I can definitely get a better skin render with another renderer without a crazy performance hit, but the hair is a different matter.

There is no performance hit, in fact all the renders above were made in a few minutes. I will post a video later.

Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: I can already see people getting in trouble by getting an approval on something like this, having some client fall in love with the hair and then rendering it using x-renderer, in a full scene and not realistically be able to duplicate the hair or duplicate it within the time allotted.

Certainly, that is why we need to allow people to do the whole thing. No reason to not have them finish their work there.

Originally Posted by PhilipeaNguyen: One other question, how long did it take the Lagoa system to render that head with the hair and on how many processing units? (GPU/CPU)

Few minutes. The renders above were generated by a single account with access to anything from 4-16 cores (CPU). Nothing special here.

05 May 2013
So, you guys are working on animation abilities? Now that's awesome. Even if simple turntable stuff was implemented first, I could do a lot of product shots straight on your site.

Reason I hesitate to do stills there right now is the client always wants a turntable, and I hesitate having unreal stills I can't recreate in a simple animation.

06 June 2013
Originally Posted by tc: You are right, and we can't and won't make our rendering look "worst" just to match some other renderer.
What we will do is include the features necessary so one could do more than only visualize but full blown finished animation there.

Sounds great. That's what is really needed. Please consider using a mesh cacheing format like Alembic or MDD instead of instead of something like FBX. And we need to be able to apply a Cache to an already textured and surfaced model inside Lagoa please. That way we don't have to keep doing it over and over (like Modo's F'd up Alembic support!) :-)

Thanks!

06 June 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread