bump and blinn shader refection gone after FG

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 12 December 2003   #1
bump and blinn shader refection gone after FG

1)i have a rendering with MR problem.. i use a maya blinn shader and bump map///it work fine in maya software render...but after i use metalray to render...the spec and reflection a blinn shader should have gone.. become a lembert shader look .. and the bump gone aswell...

2) i have follow one of the great tutorial about normal map for game character.. i works well, just some areas will have some very sharp dots like highligh appear when i render... how to fix those ??

3) another question is am i able to bake the texture of the normal map with the color map in to one texture?? or if normal map is a speical map then can i able to bake bump or spec together with the colour map ...which mean i will only have 1 texture with bump and spec in the colour map... i m still new for game industry ..so maybe is a silly question...hehe tell me if is only able to bake in one map each time...sorry about my english.

Last edited by kinston : 12 December 2003 at 01:48 AM.

Old 12 December 2003   #2
no one reply me..hehe
anyway if anyone have any useful link about this>???..thanks

Old 12 December 2003   #3
I don't know much about normal maps myself, but the reason I'm guessing that no one responded to your first question is that it makes no sense.

MR works great with almost every shader and is exactly the same with Maya's render. So this means that there must be something really wrong or messed up with your setup that it will be impossible to debug without a file to look at.

Sorry if thats no help, but I dont know what else to say.

On a side note, Normal maps and color maps can't be the same texture unless you want a very wierd result. Normal maps use the colors to tell the object which way the normals face, so combining these two would break things in a very bad way. Some game people bake the normal maps to the vertexs so that they can free up texture memory...

But hey, I dont make games so what do I know.....

Old 12 December 2003   #4
Jackdeth:

Hi Jackdeth, thanks for your reply,.. yup i know it sounds doesnt make sense at all... it doesnt make sense for me as well...thats why i post here seeks for u guys professional `s help... i m still new in game and metal ray... but i have use maya for movies in my work before...

attached two images, one in the maya periew window ..and a render of that frame.. and i have higher up the spec value in the blinn shader than normally i do...but still it render out not as a blinn should be, and that is with a normal map attached to the bump value..so i try break the connection with the normal map...and only one texture map in colour value...and the blinn just look like a lambert ... i have attached a zip file with the texture .. hope u dun mind to take a little of ur time help me to check it, try disconnect the normal map and render.....thanks... i have try very hard testing and testing...only after i cant find the reason then only i post here ask for help...sorry maybe the question doesnt make sense...thanks jackdeth again..

in 3d view with blinn shader

after render in MR using fg

the maya file ..and the texture...
maya scene file, with texture 1.29M

Last edited by kinston : 12 December 2003 at 07:19 AM.

Old 12 December 2003   #5
Sorry about the delay, but I've now taken a look at your scene. The hardware display will NOT match the render almost ever. I never trust the hardware display because it shows specular and light intensity worng most of the time.

I set the eccentricity to .2, the rolloff to .4, and left the spec color at white I got a shiny looking object in MR and Maya. But in the interface, it looked really shiny....so that is Maya lying to you about how it would look. Next time try using IPR to adjust you spec settings interactively to make sure you are getting what you want it to look like.

The normal map thing worked a little strangely in MR, and again, I've never used it before so I can't help you much there. But if this charcter is for vidoe game rendering, does it matter what it looks like in MR of Maya? Why not use Maya's Hardware Render mode in 5.01 and check it with that. That way use are using a more accurate hardware display (DIFFERENT than the interactive hardware display).

I hope this helps...

Last edited by Jackdeth : 12 December 2003 at 09:21 PM.

Old 12 December 2003   #6
thanks alot for ur help..

oh i want to do that waybecoz i want to learn MR and do the project in the same time...coz i hope can apply some MRskill inthe game movie...thats why i try to make sure it look right in the render also.... is agreat help form u,.. i will update to 5.01 and try again... u are so kind...thanks

Old 01 January 2006   #7
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread