CGTalk > Main Forums > General Discussion
To minimize the ads you see on this page create a CGTalk account and log in HERE
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Jarwulf
Frequenter
portfolio
Archon
Happy Land, USA

how to combine mudbox and maya

hi lets say you wanted to create a human character from scratch with rigging muscles the whole nine yards of features. How would you combine mudbox and maya in your workflow to minimize frustration and maximize speed?

Additional specific questions:

Is it better to create the mesh in mudbox or maya?

Where should hair be created? Should you model it as a mesh block and then convert to those nhair follicles or just use the follicles directly?

Is it better to texture the mesh in mudbox or maya? Do you think the mudbox texture painter is simpler than and powerful enough to replace Maya's UV unwrapping approach in most cases?

Is mudbox sufficient to at least completely create a detailed character without the rigging?

Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #2
Stellios
cg junkie

portfolio
Michael poretti
Generalist
Pixomondo
Toronto, Canada

combine them both into a category called "products i dont need" and then just use zbrush

Old 05-09-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
cookepuss
Lord of the posts
Rob
NYC, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stellios
combine them both into a category called "products i dont need" and then just use zbrush

That's not an answer. That's only an example of why threads like this get closed.

@Jarwulf: It's not about how you combine these things. It's how you think about them. You have to keep in mind that each app serves a purpose. Each app contributes something to the bigger picture. If Mudbox is best suited to detailing & sculpting, that's how you use it in your pipeline. If Maya's what you use for rendering, modeling and rigging then that's that.

You need to figure out for yourself what's the right tool for the job. You may be able to pound in nail with your boot, but a hammer is specifically designed for the task. It's the same way with apps.

The key to avoiding frustration is in establishing a predictable set of habits. I do stuff in this order. I save to these formats. I have this directory structure. "Order" is the word of the day.

Thread Closed share thread