Multiple hair systems with Hair and Fur modifier

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 05 May 2013   #1
Multiple hair systems with Hair and Fur modifier

Hello everyone,
I am currently working on putting fur on a Jackalope type creature, using the hair and fur modifier in Max. My question is whether it is possible to create more than one hair system on my model? This would be so I can style shorter hair around the face and feet, and have a different system for the longer hair on the body. I have looked into density and scale maps, but they never seem to give me a good result, the short hair is patchy and doesnt fully cover the mesh. I would like to up the hair count for these parts, but it isn't needed in the long haired parts which look fine, so I'd rather avoid it.

Any ideas? I know is Maya you can have multiple shave systems, which is what I am after.

Thoughts would be appreciated, Thanks

Old 05 May 2013   #2
You can have virually unlimited number od har&Fur modifiers stacked on top of each other, every one could be limited to a certain region/polygons + they can overlap each other. Combined with all the available settings and the use of maps u can easily get what u'r after.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
Thanks for the reply moulder6
That sounds ideal. I just tried it, but max crashes every time I try to put another hair and fur modifier on. It's fine when I add other modifiers though. I thought it might be something to do with the obj I have brought in, but the same thing happened to a simple cone I tried it on.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Make sure you have the latest updates/patches installed for your version.
And one thing to keep in mind - don't use too dense meshes for growing hair. If need be, use proxy geometry and uncheck "renderable" in the object's properties - the hair will still render.

Old 05 May 2013   #5
Thanks for the help moulder6. As it turns out, I can apply more than one hair system on a computer if I have admin privileges. I am at university, so I was logged onto a computer not as an admin. I'm not sure how this effects anything, but it works.
I don't think i could have created a proxy mesh anyway, as I had a point cache modifier on my original one, and the hair needed to animate with the mesh. Oh well.

Thanks!

Old 05 May 2013   #6
Moulder6, I've come across another problem that I'm hoping you can help me with? Now that I have two hair systems, I am trying to apply each one to different sets of polygons on my mesh. It seems to work just selecting them, then going to 'update mesh.' However when I click onto a different hair system, then back to the first one, the polygon selection is lost and the hair covers the whole mesh again. Is there any way I can lock which polys the hair is applied to?

Thanks

Old 05 May 2013   #7
Hey I tried to replicate your lost polygon selections with two hair and furs in the stack. I don't the issue you are having. I'm using max 2012 64bit SP2

Maybe someone else can try it...

Old 05 May 2013   #8
Originally Posted by sifuhotman: Thanks for the help moulder6. As it turns out, I can apply more than one hair system on a computer if I have admin privileges. I am at university, so I was logged onto a computer not as an admin. I'm not sure how this effects anything, but it works.
I don't think i could have created a proxy mesh anyway, as I had a point cache modifier on my original one, and the hair needed to animate with the mesh. Oh well.

There are still a lot of glitches if you don't run max as an admin at least once, after installation.

You can skinwrap the proxy mesh on top of the point cache modifier?!

Originally Posted by sifuhotman: However when I click onto a different hair system, then back to the first one, the polygon selection is lost and the hair covers the whole mesh again. Is there any way I can lock which polys the hair is applied to?

I've seen this on a number of occasions, but it's somewhat random behavior that's hard to reproduce willingly. Not sure what are the exact reasons that cause it, either, but for one, make sure that every time you add a H&F modifier on top of the other it's a brand new one, not copy/instance - this seems to cause issues more often than not. Another thing that you should make sure of is that you always exit sub-object level after you're done with selecting polys or combing hair. I am not sure how or why, but i think the H&F modifier occasionally fails to do so automatically when you switch panels modify/create/etc, or go up-down the stack, so it's often that you end up unintentionally removing the selection. There's no way you can lock the poly selection, but you can create a poly selection set, once that you have the selection that you need, so even if something screws up, you can easily get the selection back. Since deselecting may end up braking the combing that u did, as well, once u'r done with it, u can also "create splines from guides" to be easilly able to get the combing back if needed.

Old 05 May 2013   #9
Originally Posted by moulder6: There are still a lot of glitches if you don't run max as an admin at least once, after installation.

You can skinwrap the proxy mesh on top of the point cache modifier?!

I've seen this on a number of occasions, but it's somewhat random behavior that's hard to reproduce willingly. Not sure what are the exact reasons that cause it, either, but for one, make sure that every time you add a H&F modifier on top of the other it's a brand new one, not copy/instance - this seems to cause issues more often than not. Another thing that you should make sure of is that you always exit sub-object level after you're done with selecting polys or combing hair. I am not sure how or why, but i think the H&F modifier occasionally fails to do so automatically when you switch panels modify/create/etc, or go up-down the stack, so it's often that you end up unintentionally removing the selection. There's no way you can lock the poly selection, but you can create a poly selection set, once that you have the selection that you need, so even if something screws up, you can easily get the selection back. Since deselecting may end up braking the combing that u did, as well, once u'r done with it, u can also "create splines from guides" to be easilly able to get the combing back if needed.

I tried what you said about exiting out of sub-object level after I'm done combing, and that seems to be doing the trick. Thanks for your help!

Old 05 May 2013   #10
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread