Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  

Old 05-06-2013, 05:25 AM   #1
tetete
tan
Vancouver, Canada

$4000 for Maya Animation Build

Hi all

I'm looking to build a PC mainly for Maya Animations and rendering.

real time out put I can actually control it by how many things I'd like to hide.

I'm more worrying about rendering speed.

I heard a lot of renderings are utilizing GPU now, and I know that pure computing, GPU is way powerful than CPU (Like bit coins mining. )
If that's the case, should I get less powerful CPU and spend more money on multi-GPU ?
Should I get Geforce or Quadro?

Also, I guess i7 or Xeon already discussed many times on this forum. I guess it's mainly depend on budget.

I'm looking to spend about $4000 for the PC itself not including Monitors.
Could be more if it can bring me to the next tier.

Any comments and feedback are welcome

Old 05-06-2013, 05:34 AM   #2
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetete
I heard a lot of renderings are utilizing GPU now, and I know that pure computing, GPU is way powerful than CPU (Like bit coins mining. )

I don't know where you heard that, but "a lot" isn't true. Very few engines use the GPU, and those that do are normally not the "animation" centric ones.

Quote:
If that's the case, should I get less powerful CPU and spend more money on multi-GPU ?

Find a balance of both.

Quote:
Should I get Geforce or Quadro?

Search the forums, it got asked a million times

Quote:
Also, I guess i7 or Xeon already discussed many times on this forum. I guess it's mainly depend on budget.

Yeah, it's been discussed many times, so why not read those threads?
No, it's not only dependent on budget, XEONs have years ago evolved fully down the computational centre path.

For workstation type uses top tier i7s often perform on par or better at many tasks, and if power requirements and amount of licensed nodes are not a concern, very often a spare i7 renderbox + the workstation will do better than an equally (or more) expensive dual xeon used as both, and allow both at desk work and offline work at the same time.

Quote:
I'm looking to spend about $4000 for the PC itself not including Monitors.

Depending on country and other things 4000$ might be excessive without the monitors, but then if you buy the absolute most expensive CPU budget goes fast.

For workstation use with Maya and a rendering engine of your choice, with that kind of budget, best i7 you can find, a titan, 32GB of ram, a large SSD for system/apps and a couple striped 7200rpm drives for storage will get you some of the best performance you can buy right now.

It will also be a colossal waste of money with the 7xx gen not too far away and with the next gen of CPUs/chipsets only a few months away, but then bleeding edge top hardware at the end of a generational cycle almost always is a waste of money.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-06-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
tswalk
Expert

portfolio
Troy Walker
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThE_JacO

It will also be a colossal waste of money with the 7xx gen not too far away and with the next gen of CPUs/chipsets only a few months away, but then bleeding edge top hardware at the end of a generational cycle almost always is a waste of money....

110% truth... and the bane of anyone's desire to upgrade.

Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
tetete
tan
Vancouver, Canada

will dual CPU improve rending power please?

I mean 2 xeons

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #5
ThE_JacO
MOBerator-X

CGSociety Member
portfolio
Raffaele Fragapane
That Creature Dude
Animal Logic
Sydney, Australia

As I said before, use the search function, please.
This topic has been discussed not two weeks ago in depth in a thread very similar to yours.
No need for everybody to post the same things all over again:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthr...65&page=1&pp=20

Short answer: like everything, it depends. Xeons are NOT what they used to be and built a rep around, bang for buck they are NOT ideal for everything if you have no real estate and racking concerns.

How you will want to work and divide your at-desk and offline tasks is a much more important consideration to make.

Free Maya Nodes

Old 05-07-2013, 07:58 AM   #6
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread