Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 AM   #1
auri

portfolio
James Arvin
3D Animator
Stardock Entertainment
Ann Arbor, USA

Hulk Animation

Hey everyone! Just lookin for some thoughts/critiques from all of you awesome animators out there. I don't plan on having lots of camera movement as you can see, but there will be camera shaking to bring out more of the hulks character in the final. The wall break is not hand keyed, iím using a rigid body shatter effect for it. I like how its turning out, but I may decide to just hand key it, well see! My goal with this animation is to really sell a realistic and believable animation with minimal camera cuts.

The first photo is a test render that im quite happy with, iíll probably mess around more with lighting as the animation completes. The second is just an example of my scene setup. I also modified the hulk rig to have the yelling face expression blend shape, it didnt originally come with that.

Updates to follow!

Cheers,
James (Auri)

Old 04-30-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
YashaP
Know-it-All

portfolio
Yasha Peiros
Melbourne, Australia

Hi James!
Your aniamtion looks great, I really like the part where Hulk smashes the guy into the ground.
The jump out at the end of the shot looks a bit weightless so maybe give it a bigger anticipation and less frames to get off screen.

-Yasha

Old 05-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
auri

portfolio
James Arvin
3D Animator
Stardock Entertainment
Ann Arbor, USA

@YashaP Thanks! I've got a couple of people telling me the same. I will def push that pose down more, give it a stronger feel. I may actually be changing up the character routines too. Ill post the second pass when its ready.

Old 05-03-2013, 12:57 AM   #4
Andrewty07
lifelong scholar of art

portfolio
Andrew Prewett
Animator
walnut creek, USA

Hello,

Nice progress my main thought is to watch your silhouettes to make sure poses clearly read, around the 3 sec mark there is a really nice clear one. Right before hulk lunges forward he places his arm infront, for example this pose (assuming you are showing the locked camera view) can improve by giving a little space between his torso and arm to more clearly show his form. You can see the issue in the top rendered image you uploaded with how the shadows make his inner body somewhat hard to read. By managing your poses silhouettes well you convey to the viewer the movement well and make a more engaging image.

Thanks for sharing your progress, keep up the good work.

Old 05-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
auri

portfolio
James Arvin
3D Animator
Stardock Entertainment
Ann Arbor, USA

@Andrewty07 Thanks for the suggestion! I agree. I am going to be tightening up that camera angle and bringing it in a little bit, which may actually fix that particular pose. Great thing to keep aware of though, thanks for bringing it up!

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #6
auri

portfolio
James Arvin
3D Animator
Stardock Entertainment
Ann Arbor, USA

Hulk Animation Pass 2

After feedback from the first pass, the consensus was that I needed to make the hulk more raged, and anticipate the jump more. I also brought the camera in closer, as well as added a second camera cut as it was the only way to keep the hulk in frame. I still plan to add more character to the soldier in the beginning, giving extra time before the hulk comes crashing in, and time for the soldier to frantically crouch behind the barrels. Let me know what you guys think!

-James (Auri)

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 AM   #7
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader

Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread