CGTalk > Software > Autodesk Maya
Login register
Thread Closed share thread « Previous Thread | Next Thread »  
Old 04-28-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
CG Artist
Send a message via MSN to Kinematics
Slicing up a model

Hello all,

I've got a product which I am triyng to slice up into many plates so that in one of the scenes, it will pull apart. The idea is to smooth it to the exact resolution I need and use the "project curve on surface" and "slice mesh based on curves on surface" to break it up.

What I don't understand is that upon slicing, even if I used the default slice tool, there seems to be artifact-ing appearing along the slice especially if there are glossy reflections.

I then tried just using a normal sphere and then selecting some faces without cutting and using the "extract" tool. That too seems to leave an obvious change in the geometry. I'd assume there are normal issues.

I've solved this by using average normals but its been quite random in effective-ness.

What is the appropriate action to get what I need? Which is a model and then have it sliced up but have it look like one piece till I animate the parts to move apart?

Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM   #2
Student Of The Craft
Richard Culver
Hayward, USA
It kind of depends on the shot, but what you can do sometimes is swap the solid model for the sliced version right at the frame of the transition. That is not a Maya specific thing but rather a general solution. There might be a way to animate the split in Maya. It would be something that you could do in ICE. But I am not sure about the Maya side. Probably somebody has done this and has a solution for Maya that is more elegant than object swapping.
Richard Culver
Protfolio Facebook WIP1 WIP2
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #3
CG Artist
Send a message via MSN to Kinematics
It seems to work now actually. Not really sure how that got solved. Perhaps we were hitting unlock normals and doing a couple of things or over thinking it.

We came back the next day, just projected curves and slice mesh base of curves and it works. Looks seamless till the split segment. Really really odd.

Hmmmm. What is going on. And the "average normals" which solved the problem the night before didn't work the following day. Got to be some clicking order we were doing without realizing.
Old 04-30-2013, 06:48 AM   #4
CGTalk Moderation
Lord of the posts
CGTalk Forum Leader
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.
CGTalk Policy/Legalities
Note that as CGTalk Members, you agree to the terms and conditions of using this website.
Thread Closed share thread