Digital Tutors vs 3D Buzz

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

04 April 2013
Digital Tutors vs 3D Buzz

Ultimately one day, my goal is to get into visual effects with live action. Mixed media has always been an appeal to me. ie, Treasure Planet, cartooning and 3D, or War of the Worlds, matte, 3D, and live action, among other layers. I guess my question is what are good outlets to begin practicing? I ask this in a general sense.

Now on a broader view, I also inquire about Digital Tutors vs 3D Buzz. Pros , cons, if known, I'd appreciate. I am a serious beginner, with serious lack of knowledge of 3D, the issue is I love it and I'm in school for it, so I want to walk away with some considerable skill. With the goal that I have in mind, where would you direct me?

Thanks.

04 April 2013
Seems that you already have direction set all you need now is somewhere or/and something to start with.
There is not shortcuts so the only way is to start from ground up..start with introduction courses and follow-up tutorials but try not to just blindly follow them up, experiment a bit more, take it a step further, always give yourself small challenges so that at the end of every day you can say: "I have learn something today"

I don't know about 3Dbuzz but Digital Tutors has a lot of Maya tuts for everything and are awesome! I like them a lot and learned (and still learning) from them a lot!
Sure some of those tuts there are great and some of them are not that good but overall i can't say anything against DT. Highly recommended...in my opinion.

04 April 2013
I think Digital Tutors is a better way to go, their tuts are direct and to the point, and each one has an outline so you can watch the parts you need to learn. Also, the site keeps track of what you watch and at what point you stop so you never forget where you were in any given tutorial.

From what I've seen of 3d buzz they spend half the time bantering and not really covering anything. If you find the strange need to be entertained while you do a tut then I guess 3d buzz is a consideration.

If you're serious about learning a lot of material then starting with a professional training site is fine. If you're working or don't have much time to commit I'd try starting out with free tuts online and on youtube.

04 April 2013
there's never a time where i'm not doing anything, i'm a student so i need to work and when i'm in school i need to do projects, assignments, homework,etc. so i want to do digital tutors, through and through

04 April 2013
I also would like to thank the both of you for replying, it's hard to get information with this, except for testimonials on their own website, or reviews on their own website, so thank you so much. i always like to know from the cg community what is thought of these. i'm surprised at the response. i heard 3D buzz was "better".

04 April 2013
I actually started digging into maya with 3dbuzz. They were sending free maya training cd's when they launched about 10 years ago. That was the craziest move on the net, you signed up for free, they send you those cds for free. I was even more amazed when I saw the quality of the maya training, which targeted new users...

The quality of their training today is still very high and they have highly technical training content. For wannabe TD's and indie game devs, 3dbuzz is the best place to learn anything.

If you are into vfx, digitaltutors and thegnomonworkshop might be better choices since they also have titles that dive into post work etc...

04 April 2013
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread