Living Between Structures, David Henriksen (2D)

Become a member of the CGSociety

Connect, Share, and Learn with our Large Growing CG Art Community. It's Free!

THREAD CLOSED

Old 04 April 2013   #1
Living Between Structures, David Henriksen (2D)

Title: Living Between Structures
Name: David Henriksen
Software: ArtRage, Photoshop

This is a personal project i did while studying urban planning and master planning in architecture school (you need a break once in a while).

i learned alot and it was a great opportunity to practice textures and brushes.

digital painting done with Photoshop and ArtRage. used some photos I shot in New York when traveling in USA.

It is portraying the future Utopia which we all try to imagine what will look like.. will it be a bright future? or do we even exist in a 1000 years from now. what will architecture be like?. will it even matter or will we be living in transparent cell structures. this is what i think. feel free to comment what you think about the future of the mega cities

My main inspirations are the works of Jan Ditlev and Thomas E Pringle.

- David Botofte Henriksen
www.davidbotofte.dk

Old 04 April 2013   #2
The good old question.

I think the answer lays behind nano technology used in a great scale, because our planets resources is limited and we'll eventually need to focus on building material efficiency. Now imagine exotic- or even uninvented materials, where for example the atomic structure of the material gives the main preferences of the stuff (self cleaning/healing materials, transparent yet extremely strong materials, light reflective materials where the reflected spectrum of light depends on the structure of the surface (like a butterfly's wings) unlike additional layers we use nowadays, or extremely strong alloys where and processing tools where you can use the bondage between cut edges could based on casimir-effect for instance, and so on... lot of exotic possibilities, where the key factors are the quantum physics/mechanisms/electrodynamics, and the new power sources like cold fusion and others.
Nowadays building materials highly depends on the available raw materials and the energy for production. Compare the vernacular architecture vs. the "starchitect" worlds' achievements.

On the other hand now is the time when difficult to predict the nature of future, since there are a lot of egoistic force in the humanity which rather lead us into darkness and dystopia. Beside that, I rather like to believe in bright future where the built environment can be extremely Eco-frendly, generates it's own energy source and works in harmony with nature...

About your picture:
As you see above, i think the original topic is interesting and worth to deal with... However I think your concept here is a bit confusing, if you'll excuse. I'm not really understand the purpose of the slant beams there, i only consider them as eye-candy effects. Due to this the overall composition is a bit unclear, and I'd say the general atmosphere is kind of late '80s-early'90s "retro" sci-fi, since you used NYC references not a thousand years ahead...
Anyway, I guess i understand what were your initial intentions there, so i recommend you to try think in structures independent from functions. Handle them separately, do some experiments and figure out unconventional ways of thinking about architecture - and as a concept, they don't need to be valid or possible to construct, blah-blah...
Btw, the picture itself is good, nice to watch, good but discreet palette selection, and definitely promising use of brushes and mixed techniques.
Keep it up!!

Last edited by Zocsi : 04 April 2013 at 08:16 AM.

Old 05 May 2013   #3
While it's a bit confusing as to what is going on I think it definitely evokes a pleasant mood.

Old 05 May 2013   #4
Thread automatically closed

This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.

Thread Closed share thread